Water Damage to Apartment What are my rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliNative

I currently rent an apartment in California. Recently there were storms which caused a leak in the roof.

The repair to the roof was repaired promptly, however no one returned to fix the damage inside. Twelve days went by, mold began to grow. Management was notified, and a contractor was sent to my home within 2 days. The repairs needed required the bathroom to be completely gutted. Because there is only one bathroom in my unit, we were placed in a hotel, which was paid for by the management company.

When I asked management what I should do with my cat during this time, they suggested I keep him in my bedroom, and come by in the evening to feed him. Because my cat requires insulin twice a day, this was not an option, and I had to pay out of pocket to have a pet sitter watch him.
($400)

We were in the hotel for 8 days. Not only was I displaced from my home, but my home office. I did not have access to my business line in my home, so I was forced to use my cell phone for all business calls. They would not pay for me to use my phone in my hotel room. This was also a basic room, with no way of cooking meals. We spent at least double what we normally spend on eating out.

We have now returned, after we were notified all repairs were done, but to our suprise, they now have to repair the roof and siding. It is so loud, I am unable to make phone calls, let alone work.

I am wondering if I am entitled to a reduction in next months rent for the days we were out of our apartment, and possibly while they are still repairing the outiside even though they picked up the tab for the hotel. I don't feel like a hotel room is equivalent to a luxury apartment. Our rent for a one bedroom apartment is above $1700 a month.

Also, they used our electricity and water during the repairs, often having to run heaters to dry out the mold for days. If our utility bills are much higher this month because of this, are we entitled to the difference?

Our rental agreement does state the follwoing:

" If there is any partial destruction to the premises, or of the building in which the premises are located, from fire, casualty, or other cause, Management shall promptly repair the same, provided such repairs can be made within 30 days under the laws and regulations of proper governmental authorities, provided further, that the cause or casuality is covered by Management's fire and extended coverage insurance policies in force at the time of the partial destruction. Such partial destruction shall in no way void this agreement, except resident shall be entitled to a proportionate reduction of rent while such repairs are being made, based on the extent to which such damage and repairs shall interfere with the normal use and occupancy of the premises by resident."

Thanks for any advice!

If you think you have a case, sue the bad people in small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back