Washington State King County Speeding Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmuchin

My wife received a speeding ticket this morning doing 78 MPH in a 60 MPH zone near EB SR520/124th (RCW 46.61.400.15). She hasn't had a speeding ticket in 7 years or any accidents since 2/15/2001. Do you think we could get away with deferred prosecution and handle this through a defendent statement via mail? Do we have any other options to reduce the overall cost? Also my wife is 26 years old and this would be handled through the KCDC - Redmond Courthouse if that matters.

Last edited:
gmuchin said:
My wife received a speeding ticket this morning doing 78 MPH in a 60 MPH zone near EB SR520/124th (RCW 46.61.400.15). She hasn't had a speeding ticket in 7 years or any accidents since 2/15/2001. Do you think we could get away with deferred prosecution and handle this through a defendent statement via mail? Do we have any other options to reduce the overall cost? Also my wife is 26 years old and this would be handled through the KCDC - Redmond Courthouse if that matters.

I would say that you have a much better chance to reduce the severity of the ticket by appearing in person and discussing this with the prosecutor. In many instances bringing an attorney may help you get a better result. If you have a friend who may do this for you, it might be of assistance.

You could opt for deferred prosecution but it could be costly and likely to be at least $100. Note also that there are requirements to be able to handle it in this matter and I'm not sure what the time restriction is or if there is a prerequisite of not having any prior deferments. Here is a link to the complete law on deferred prosecution:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?fuseaction=chapterdigest&chapter=10.05

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back