Was it murder or self defense?

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Missouri
This will be a very intriguing case.

Will the alleged perpetrator be acquitted or convicted?

Why was this homeowner, simply defending his home, arrested?

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Police in St. Louis say a man fatally choked a woman who broke into his home over the weekend. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the incident happened Sunday evening in St. Louis' Dutchtown neighborhood. Police investigators say the 34-year-old woman broke into the home around 6:20 p.m. Sunday, and a man inside the home confronted her and put her in a chokehold until she was dead. Police say the incident is being investigated as a homicide, and the man was arrested. Police have not released any other information on the incident.

Police say man strangled woman who broke into St. Louis home - ABC17NEWS

https://www.kxxv.com/news/police-say-man-strangled-woman-who-broke-into-st-louis-home

Once she was no longer a threat, there was no reason to continue the choke hold.

If the guy was a cop I'd agree 100%. But in this case, there is a LOT of info we don't have. Had the woman broken in with any sort of weapon he could have shot her and would be sitting home watching TV this morning.

If the guy was a cop I'd agree 100%. But in this case, there is a LOT of info we don't have. Had the woman broken in with any sort of weapon he could have shot her and would be sitting home watching TV this morning.
I would agree with you. There is a LOT of info we don't have.

I suspect we will sooner or later learn much, much more about this sad incident.

It'll make some great Court TV, too.
I'd give this post a "like", but I don't think it's appropriate based on the overall subject. Instead, I'll offer an "I agree".

(Edit: Not that your post is not appropriate...rather, a "like" for this situation isn't appropriate.)

I'd give this post a "like", but I don't think it's appropriate based on the overall subject. Instead, I'll offer an "I agree".

(Edit: Not that your post is not appropriate...rather, a "like" for this situation isn't appropriate.)

Public trials, as presented on TV educate the populace.

I'd like to think that seeing these tragic stories live might cause someone NOT to break the law.

Court TV stands head and shoulders above the so called "judge" shows.

Death is always sad, as is any crime.

My first question is what specific action is being described as a chokehold. It's a term used very loosely in most cases.

Second, I question what circumstances existed that justified it, other than mere presence in the home.

I can understand the arrest. It's still a homicide, even if later declared to be justified. This is for judges and juries to sort out.

. It's still a homicide, even if later declared to be justified. This is for judges and juries to sort out.

You make an excellent point.

All killings are homicides.
Some homicides are murders.

What this killing will become isn't known, yet.

Even if this killing is charged and tried as a 2nd degree murder,
a judge or a jury issues the ultimate verdict.

Back