was arrested for expired drivers license in shared vehicle

coverycovery

was arrested for having an expired drivers license in a vehicle registered to my family's business. others use the vehicle during work hours to haul a mini trailer because it is the only truck with a hitch registered to the company. my question is if another employee \ family member is driving my truck and the license plate is ran by a cop will they get pulled over ? like i said the vehicle is registered in the companies name not my first and last name but the license plate number is included on my citation.

was arrested for having an expired drivers license in a vehicle registered to my family's business. others use the vehicle during work hours to haul a mini trailer because it is the only truck with a hitch registered to the company. my question is if another employee \ family member is driving my truck and the license plate is ran by a cop will they get pulled over ? like i said the vehicle is registered in the companies name not my first and last name but the license plate number is included on my citation.

The vehicle doesn't require a drivers license to be used.
The vehicle requires license plates, which were current, according to your recitation of events.

You, however, drove the properly licensed vehicle and received a citation and were arrested for using an expired drivers license.

If the plates were ever checked again, there'd be no penalty for the truck. However, the police aren't a stupid lot. The police must be very clever. Therefore, if you drove the truck again, someone might connect the dots.

That's especially true for small localities.

so all a license plate check does is tell offhand if the vehicle is properly registered , who it belongs to , and whether its stolen or not ? they dont get details about other drivers who were cited while using the truck just from running the numbers ? i am just concerned about a co worker being pulled over solely on an officer running the plate number and than having to go through the process of sitting there and straightening out that he was not the driver who drove the vehicle with expired license.

my question is if another employee \ family member is driving my truck and the license plate is ran by a cop will they get pulled over ?

Nobody can predict what WILL happen, but it certainly COULD happen, especially if it's the same cop that arrested you and he recognizes the vehicle and decides to see if you are the one driving it again.

Vehicle registration results in a license plate issued for that vehicle. The owner of a vehicle is responsible for the access to and use of the vehicle. Unless the owner reports the vehicle to the police as stolen, it is assumed that the vehicle is being used with the permission of the owner.

The owner of the vehicle is required to have insurance on the vehicle. The insurance company deals with who is an insured driver, whether individually or as a class. If a vehicle has no insurance then the company remains liable as well as the driver.

A driver's license provides the individual person with the right to drive a motor vehicle. The fact that you received a traffic citation with a license plate number simply means that law enforcement has documented the relevant information about the vehicle you were driving without a license. It is factual proof and can be used in a court of law against you. The vehicle isn't getting a summons - you are. The vehicle owner might have a problem if they allow unlicensed drivers to drive their vehicles. But that's a whole different story. The only confusion here is yours and you may deal with a period of drivers license suspension as well. You should retain an attorney in your defense.

Back