Consumer Law, Warranties Warranty claim rejected unfairly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinxmalinx

I have a problem and am at complete loss over what I can do. I would be extremely grateful for any advice on this matter.

In May of this year I had purchased a camera from a Hong Kong-based eBay store (DigitalRev), which provided their own 1 year warranty. The warranty specified that they will replace/repair any damage, provided it did not occur through any misuse but through manufacture fault. 4 months after the purchase one of the camera's components broke and the seller advised me to have the damage assessed by a repair centre.

The repair centre said that the cause of damage is unknown though may be identified upon repair (which costs $258!), but stated that the camera appears in otherwise excellent condition with no evidence of misuse. When I emailed the invoice to the seller they replied that as there is "no mention of the fault being due to a manufacture defect or defect in the materials of the product they are unable to cover the repair costs".

At this point I must add that I know for certain I did not cause the damage. It had been a very expensive purchase for me and I took tremendous care of it. And certainly had never misused or mishandled it, no matter how one chooses to define "misuse".

I have researched this fault online and found several other people who had exactly the same problem occur with that particular camera model in precisely the same way, and also around the same time. This evidently points to some fault in the production of a particular batch.
Because of legal issues and fear of being challenged the repair centre will not issue a statement saying the fault is on the side of the manufacturer until they have concrete evidence of it (ie. after the repairs have been complete). I have also found people who have had problems with claiming warranty on items purchased from that particular eBay.

Considering all of the above, is there any action I can take to get my warranty claim through?

Thank you for your help.
:yawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back