Want to fire a minority employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkbridge

I have a problem with an employee. We are a small company and have had pretty low turnover with a couple of exceptions. This employee is a minority. Lately I have been getting the feeling that she is tired of working. She has been terrible at work and totally inefficient. The problem is that I had to let go another minority woman a few months ago who also didn't work out. When I told this current employee about the problem and that maybe we should just part ways if she didn't want to work here any more, she said something about how it looks like a pattern with me of firing minority women. Those words make me think that they didn't originate from her but from someone who is giving her an idea how to get a settlement she doesn't deserve. Can anybody suggest the best way to handle this person?

Are the problems with her performance documented? Has she been told about them and given the opportunity to improve?

How about the one who was fired previously?

In what state is this and how many employees do you have? (It matters)

I have a problem with an employee. We are a small company and have had pretty low turnover with a couple of exceptions. This employee is a minority. Lately I have been getting the feeling that she is tired of working. She has been terrible at work and totally inefficient. The problem is that I had to let go another minority woman a few months ago who also didn't work out. When I told this current employee about the problem and that maybe we should just part ways if she didn't want to work here any more, she said something about how it looks like a pattern with me of firing minority women. Those words make me think that they didn't originate from her but from someone who is giving her an idea how to get a settlement she doesn't deserve. Can anybody suggest the best way to handle this person?

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but the title of your post could bring you trouble.

If I were you, I wouldn't view my employees as male, female, gay, straight, purple, gold, or blue.

Simply start viewing them as employees, who function as clerks, drivers, cooks, janitors, bookkeepers, or operators.

Beyond the above strategy, in most cases, don't give an employee a reason for terminating their services, just tell the person the following, "Mr. Butler, your services are no longer needed. You should see our Payroll Manager, Mrs. Green to collect your check and turn in your keys."

When people start to explain, they begin justifying, and trouble begins to brew.

Life is so much simpler when you simply say less, rather than more.

It might not apply in the matter you inquired about, but going forward, it will simplify your life.

Are the problems with her performance documented? Has she been told about them and given the opportunity to improve?

How about the one who was fired previously?

In what state is this and how many employees do you have? (It matters)
Documented? LOL. We only have about 18 people in the company. Nothing is actually 'documented' and you just talk to the person and try to fix the problem.

The one who was fired previously wasn't written up or anything like that. She was just told of the problem and that she was going to be let go. We are in New Jersey and I don't know what laws might apply or protect someone. I just can't believe she should have a right to continue doing the bad work she has been doing and think she has a lawsuit.

Thank you army judge for your advice. I only say minority woman because she made a big deal of her possibly being fired and said that because she is of a certain race and background she has an automatic case of discrimination and we better be good to her or she will sue us. I don't know what kind of background check was performed or if she was referred but she seems like she wants a paid long vacation. We probably wouldn't say anything to her more than it isn't working any more but are just afraid she will go ahead and find some lawyer who will try to suck us dry.

Thank you army judge for your advice. I only say minority woman because she made a big deal of her possibly being fired and said that because she is of a certain race and background she has an automatic case of discrimination and we better be good to her or she will sue us. I don't know what kind of background check was performed or if she was referred but she seems like she wants a paid long vacation. We probably wouldn't say anything to her more than it isn't working any more but are just afraid she will go ahead and find some lawyer who will try to suck us dry.

You have the right to run your business the way you wish to run it, according to the law.

If I were you, I'd have fired this slug the first time she failed to perform.

As far as race, when people mention that to me, I play dumb.

I say, race, what race - a horse race?

Or, I don't know what you mean by minority, we're all Americans, aren't we?

Or, my classic, minority, let's not discuss religion on the job.

There are no women, no men, no colors, no religions, just employees.

They'll try to mislead, don't let them play those silly games with you.

If one deserves to be fired, just tell them, pick up your check, we no longer need your services.

That is why you document. With 18 people you ARE subject to discrimination laws. If you have documentation and write ups, you have verification that there is a valid, work-related reason to fire the person. Without that, what you have is he-said, she-said.

Have any non-minority people been fired for performance reasons?

My philosophy, never explain, just do.

When you start explaining, you usually get screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back