want to file for back support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiomom30

My ex lived in another state for the last 6 yrs. When we went to court for child support originally he was collecting unemployment so the amount was very low. I was never able to confirm his employment, or lack of, after that. Then he moved back and got a job, so I file for a review/modification. He was required to provide his last 3 yrs of tax forms, turns out he has been making 40k+ each year so his support order was more than doubled. He filed a request for a court hearing to dispute the new order. I have always represented myself when we go to court for visitation but never support so I'm not as confident and need advice. Can I file for back support for the difference he should have been paying the whole time and if so what do I call the request when I file it??
Thank you in advance for your advise!!

My ex lived in another state for the last 6 yrs. When we went to court for child support originally he was collecting unemployment so the amount was very low. I was never able to confirm his employment, or lack of, after that. Then he moved back and got a job, so I file for a review/modification. He was required to provide his last 3 yrs of tax forms, turns out he has been making 40k+ each year so his support order was more than doubled. He filed a request for a court hearing to dispute the new order. I have always represented myself when we go to court for visitation but never support so I'm not as confident and need advice. Can I file for back support for the difference he should have been paying the whole time and if so what do I call the request when I file it??
Thank you in advance for your advise!!

Of course you can file for SOME support arrearage.

But, it only goes backj so far, and varies by state.

But, the good news for most peopel in your position OP, is the state will assist you in getting that back support.

The state, of Ohio, in your case will even send a lawyer to assist in getting a judgment, and even collect what you're owed by wage attachment.

Your county Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) can also provide certain services and assistance.

You can find them listed somewhere under your county government, or call the main county government switchboard.

You can ask questions of them by snail mail:

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services 30 E. Broad Street 32nd Floor Columbus Ohio 43215

Or, call them at: 1-800-686-1556

Or your county CSEA

Here is your state's office of child support collection site:

http://jfs.ohio.gov/Ocs/OCSServices_Overview.stm

http://jfs.ohio.gov/ocs/employers/CSPC_Overview.stm

Take a look around, and then reach out to one of their reps to get what that deadbeat owes his kid(s).

I hate deadbeat moms and dads.

Just support your kids, people, you helped breed them, the other taxpayers didn't!

Now, go get that money for your babies, mom!

A retro increase is not going to happen in Ohio at this late stage. It was up to Mom to use the discovery process to find Dad's real earnings. The court also won't appreciate "tit for tat" filings either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back