walmart termination after 26 years

Jwpens

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I was just terminated from Walmart where I have been employed for over 26 yrs. The last 18 years as an assistant manager. I was terminated for allowing another associate use my sign on to do a gun sale transaction. The associate came to me about doing it and she was formerly the sporting goods department manager and now had a higher positiong as support manager but on the grocery side of the store she could no longer sign on to the gun sale terminal. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time and the management above me know that I have a problem sometimes thinking clearly due to a mini stroke that I had a year and a half ago. They had just pulled me in and coached me for not doing my notes a little before this happened. I had long emotional talks with two co-managers and then the store manager about not being able to focus sometimes, because of my medical problems. I also had just had two stents put in my heart in September of last year. Because of these medical problems and the fact that I am a diabetic, I told them that sometimes I have problems focusing. I was wondering if there is anything I can legally do to help with my situation. Thanks, Jim

None of your medical problems require your employer to overlook such a lapse in judgement. Any laws protecting you on the basis of disability only require they treat you as they would any other non-disabled employee who did the same thing.

I was just terminated from Walmart where I have been employed for over 26 yrs. The last 18 years as an assistant manager. I was terminated for allowing another associate use my sign on to do a gun sale transaction. The associate came to me about doing it and she was formerly the sporting goods department manager and now had a higher positiong as support manager but on the grocery side of the store she could no longer sign on to the gun sale terminal. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time and the management above me know that I have a problem sometimes thinking clearly due to a mini stroke that I had a year and a half ago. They had just pulled me in and coached me for not doing my notes a little before this happened. I had long emotional talks with two co-managers and then the store manager about not being able to focus sometimes, because of my medical problems. I also had just had two stents put in my heart in September of last year. Because of these medical problems and the fact that I am a diabetic, I told them that sometimes I have problems focusing. I was wondering if there is anything I can legally do to help with my situation. Thanks, Jim

Why was an employee from the grocery side trying to sell a firearm?
I wonder if the ATF needs to know about this alleged transaction?

Back