Waiver for bail jumping?

Ravi

Jurisdiction
California
Hello. I was charged with pwid cocoaine in 1995. I absconded and fled to the carribean. I later became a doctor. Because of this and my overall story, the US prosecuter has agreed to dropping the pwid charge, and agreeing to recommend a variance on the bail jumping charge (i'd do around 6 months i'm told). After deportation, Will I be eligible for a waiver if my us citizen mother sponsors me for permanent residence? I'm writing from Guyana.
Thank you.

ello. I was charged with pwid cocoaine in 1995. I absconded and fled to the carribean.

Oh my, big mistake, mate.

I later became a doctor.

There are many people qualified to use the term "doctor" ecause they possess "doctoral" degrees.

You mention The Caribbean, does that mean you graduated from a Caribbean based medical school eventually becoming a physician who earned a medical degree (as in MD)?

After deportation, Will I be eligible for a waiver if my us citizen mother sponsors me for permanent residence?

I suggest you discuss any aspect of your plea deal and it's consequences with the lawyer you've retained to represent you in the federal criminal matter before the bar.

These days, with what you're alleged to have done, followed by fleeing to avoid prosecution might be sufficient to earn you a lifetime bar from ever reentering the USA.

You might also consult a few immigration attorneys based in the USA.

With the convictions that could appear on your record, you might also find it difficult to obtain licensure in any 1st world nations.

I'd also stop discussing anything related to these sordid events on public forums.

Law enforcement (including the US spy agency NSA) routinely monitors all forms of electronic communications.

I'd speak about this ONLY to my lawyer(s).

No need to denigrate Carribean medical schools. My neighbor went to med school there but ended up doing his residency at Johns Hopkins (my alma mater). He's a successful "concierge" doctor now. What do you call the guy who finished last in his class at medical school: doctor. What do you call the guy who finished last in his class in law school: your honor.

Not only is getting a green card suspect, so is getting any visa. You can indeed be denied entry for a conviction or even suspicion of having trafficked in controlled substances. That's pretty darned serious and a special emphasis these days. The flight to avoid prosecution just makes matters worth (this is also a felony).

By the way, you're not in the preference group that allows for immediate permanent residence status anyhow. Most such applications are stuck in a six-year wait. If you are Mexican, it's over TWENTY.

Back