Wage Hours

Unknown1234

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I recently found a job and have been working for nearly a month. I worked a total of 56 hours and was promised by the manager I'd be paid 8.75 per hour. He even signed a document of it. When pay day came, I was paid a rate of 7.75 for a total of 20 hours only. Is this legal?

When pay day came, I was paid a rate of 7.75 for a total of 20 hours only.

If the 56 hours straddled a pay period with only 20 of the hours in the first pay period, might not be anything wrong there.

As for the money, we'd have to read that document before commenting, wouldn't we?

What did your boss say when you asked him about the discrepancy?

If the 56 hours straddled a pay period with only 20 of the hours in the first pay period, might not be anything wrong there.

As for the money, we'd have to read that document before commenting, wouldn't we?

What did your boss say when you asked him about the discrepancy?

He just told me that minors can get paid 7.75. I know that this is legal, but he promised me 8.75 he signed a document which I kept.

It's not illegal unless the document signed could be considered a contract. No way to know without seeing it. You could approach him again and ask "I understand that minimum wage for minors is $7.75 but I was promised $8.75 in writing." The most likely response will be "Oh I didn't realize you were a minor."

It's not illegal unless the document signed could be considered a contract. No way to know without seeing it. You could approach him again and ask "I understand that minimum wage for minors is $7.75 but I was promised $8.75 in writing." The most likely response will be "Oh I didn't realize you were a minor."
So is an offer of employment a contract?

So is an offer of employment a contract?

No, as stated several times, without reading it we can't know.
If you are a minor, it isn't actionable by you.
No court will allow a minor to sue.
Why?
Because only people can sue, people as in corporations and those above the age of majority.

If it means that much to you, discuss it with your parents or guardians, seeif they care enough to pursue it.

If not, take your money and run.
Seek employment elsewhere, unless you enjoy being cheated, scammed, bamboozled.
It happens daily all across the planet, scammers fleecing sheeple.

No, as stated several times, without reading it we can't know.
If you are a minor, it isn't actionable by you.
No court will allow a minor to sue.
Why?
Because only people can sue, people as in corporations and those above the age of majority.

If it means that much to you, discuss it with your parents or guardians, seeif they care enough to pursue it.

If not, take your money and run.
Seek employment elsewhere, unless you enjoy being cheated, scammed, bamboozled.
It happens daily all across the planet, scammers fleecing sheeple.
Don't have to be harsh, but thanks.

Offers of employment are rarely contracts.

Rarely is not never.

ONLY an attorney in your state who had read the offer and any associated documentation can say for certain. But the odds are against it.

You did receive the min. hourly wage for minors in Illinois. I'm not sure why you weren't paid for all hours worked unless like adjusterjack noted if the 56 hours straddled a pay period with only 20 of the hours in your first pay period, there might not be anything wrong here. We didn't receive enough information/details from you.

Back