Wage Garnishment Question

Jurisdiction
Michigan
In 2011 I was sued for a DUI incident that occurred for $7300. For several years my wages were garnished to the amount of $6200 and then stopped without warning or completion. Now 5 years later they are trying to finish the garnishment and have come back for the rest are claiming $590 and post-judgment costs of $360. I was never mailed anything to complete my payments and received this new garnishment without warning. Do I have a case that I should not need to pay the interest or post judgment costs based on no notifications on outstanding balance or how to pay?

In 2011 I was sued for a DUI incident that occurred for $7300. For several years my wages were garnished to the amount of $6200 and then stopped without warning or completion. Now 5 years later they are trying to finish the garnishment and have come back for the rest are claiming $590 and post-judgment costs of $360. I was never mailed anything to complete my payments and received this new garnishment without warning. Do I have a case that I should not need to pay the interest or post judgment costs based on no notifications on outstanding balance or how to pay?
No, of course not. When the garnishment stop, you should have checked on it to figure out what was going on, or simply continued paying the remaining amount.

I should not need to pay the interest or post judgment costs based on no notifications on outstanding balance or how to pay?

Did you change employers AFTER the original garnishment started?

If you did, that could explain the period of time during which your earning were not levied against.

In Michigan a small claims case judgment expires six years after it was issued.

Most other judgments in Michigan expire 10 years after they were issued.

A judgment holder can renew the judgment before it expires by filing a motion to renew said judgment.

You might wish to check the records of the court which issued the judgment to make sure it didn't expire or perhaps renewed.

Back