Wage Garnishment of MD Judgment in MA??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilE

My jurisdiction is: Massachusetts

My jurisdiction is: Massachusetts

Hello.

Civil judgment for contract default soon to be entered against me by default in Maryland, but I am located in Massachusetts. Is it possible for the claimant to garnish wages in Massachusetts using a Maryland judgment, or must the claimant have a Massachusetts judgment to do so?

If it is possible, are they first subject to some sort of process in Massachusetts, and, if so, how long might it take for them to complete it?

(I am not concerned about the judgment, which will be satisfied within 2 months, however, I am guaranteed to lose my job should my employer be dragged into the garnishment process. I am aware that this is unlawful, but other "reasons" for termination of employment would be found.)

Disposable wages are defined as the amount of wages that remain after mandatory deductions required by law, plus medical insurance payments. The amount exempt is the greater of 75% of disposable wages, or $145 times the number of weeks in which the wages were earned (in Caroline, Kent, Queen Anne's and Worcester 30 times the federal minimum hourly wages due under the Fair labor Standards Act.) (Annotated Code of Maryland, Commercial Law Article Sec. 15-601.1)

A judgment creditors report must be sent each month to the debtor and employer.

I don't think it matters if the employer is located in another state, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back