voluntary reposession of vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

My son leased a 2006 Cadilac CTS in August 2005 and has been making payments up to and including the April 2008 payment. He lost his job at the end of Feb. 2008 and is currently incarcerated and may be facing jail time and/or rehab in the near future. There is some damage to the rear vehicle where he backed into a pole(trunk and back up light damage),also a crack in the windshied from a stone that hit it. The insurance is still force at the present time with a $1000.00 deductable. ( full glass) He his also over his maximum allowable milage (48,000) for the entire 4 year lease by about 1000 miles and the scheduled end date for the lease is 8/15/09. He is unable to continue making any future payments. Do I call the finance company and have the vehicle voluntarily reposessed? Should I call the insurance company about the damage to the vehicle even though he has no money for the deductable? Please advise me the best way to handle this. :confused:

A voluntary repossestion is still going to kill his credit. At this point he either has to make the lease payments, or see about buying the lease out now, or allow the car to be repo'd. A lease should not have been done if he is driving with that much mileage. He probably will be on the hook for the damage cost, and for breaking the lease.

sorry but I do not really see a way out of this for your son. Lesson learned on leasing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back