Voluntary Placement Agreement

IslandDad

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hello,
I called CPS to obtain a 90 day Voluntary Placement Agreement for my Great Nephew. I have been a approved placement 3 times already in the State of WA. The mother which is my Niece signed the form and her son has been placed in my care until the Father can get him. (within weeks). CPS approved my background check the same day, the next day they called stating a "red flag" came up and was stating they are on their way to get the child. I told them that I will not release the child unless I was able to talk to the Administration and get answers on why my background was not approved this time, when just a year ago it was for my Niece. "My niece is the mother of the child in my care". Long story short, I contacted the Sheriff which I know personally and he called the Supervisor at the CPS office and informed them that they will not "take" the child from my care unless they have a Court Order. They didn't like that very much but didn't make contact to me for a whole day. The Administrator at the office called me yesterday and stated that the child can remain in our care since my Wife's background history was good. The kicker is that I wasn't allowed to stay in my household last night or until my background has been waived. So now I am being forced out of my house, My wife is left to care for our 2 year old, 6 year old and now my great nephew which is 3. He also has high risk medical issues and has had 2 open heart surgery's and will continue to have them for the entirety of his life. The main reason I am fighting this is, the Father is on his way to get his son, the father had no idea of the issues going on at the house where the mother lived. He is fully capable of caring for the child and that is not in question. So, my question is. What might my legal options be, because I can't simply live outside of my home until CPS can "waive" my background history. My history consists of all Juvenile tickets of MIP of Alcohol, Aiding and abetting a drunk driver and I think a malicious mischief. I am now 30 years old and manage a large hotel. These cases were when I was 18 and younger. Today I am directed to take finger print hard copies and get them sent to a office and wait until all the paperwork is pushed through. This has become a hardship with myself and my wife because of the situation. I have always been a safe house for my family when my nieces needed to get out of their mothers home. The Sheriff even explained to the CPS office of his reason of not assisting them with the removal is because I am a outstanding member of the community and the safest place for the medical needs of the child is in my care. I don't understand why I am being treated like a criminal when I made the call to simply get a temporary placement order to secure the child to keep him safe until the father can pick him up. Which is in a week if not a week and a half. The child is not a dependent of the state unless they chose to push a Court Order which would eventually possible lead to the mother fully losing her parental rights and Me not being able to further be a legitimate temporary placement. All this started last week when I was originally approved to be his placement. The mother (my niece) is 100% working with us and knows she cannot care for her son at this time nor anytime soon. What are my options? How long might it take for them to get a Court Order and what can I do to fight it? I feel like my Rights are being violated and they are treating me like a criminal.

Strangers on the internet know nothing about you or your case.

If you want REAL LEGAL ADVICE, I suggest you hire a lawyer in your county or state to assist you.

Good luck.

Strangers on the internet know nothing about you or your case.

If you want REAL LEGAL ADVICE, I suggest you hire a lawyer in your county or state to assist you.

Good luck.
Agreed. I'd like to research before I do that. Where I live, its certainly not cheap. Being the case is not in the Courts of WA yet (pending their decision on the Court Order) if I decide not to live in my own house.

Agreed. I'd like to research before I do that. Where I live, its certainly not cheap. Being the case is not in the Courts of WA yet (pending their decision on the Court Order) if I decide not to live in my own house.

The internet is not the place to seek legal advice on serious legal matters.

You can receive a FREE a comprehensive, initial consultation/evaluation from most attorneys.

Law schools and legal clinics might be inclined to answer a few questions via the telephone.

The internet is not the place to seek legal advice on serious legal matters.

You can receive a FREE a comprehensive, initial consultation/evaluation from most attorneys.

Law schools and legal clinics might be inclined to answer a few questions via the telephone.

I fully understand the internet (may) or may not be the place to seek legal advice on serious legal matters. But it is indeed a resourceful place to hear about similar situations and the actions that took place.
Again thank you for your reply.

Your sheriff friend told you correct. They can't take the child without a court order.

I will also tell you that they can not compel you to leave your home without a court order.

If you fail to comply then their option is to get the court order.

Whether or not they have substantial information to obtain that order is unknown. The questionbbecomes whether you want to comply with the request or force their hand.

If you are not currently in your home it is by choice.

Back