Visited by police

Walluby

Jurisdiction
Illinois
A legal advice website said my case was about a civil rights matter. Said something like " privacy invasion without due process". They asked how i wanted to persue the matter. Would a inunction work in this situation?

Was questioned by police detectives that visited my home that asked to look at my phone.

A detective had someone stalk me at the library with a laptop , watching me for a couple of months.

Although now they just watch me from a distance daily in parked cars while I shop, up town. They are not as aggressive now. I feel like suing them for mental distress, abuse of power. They have gone too far to intimidate and bully me.

A detective had someone stalk me at the library with a laptop , watching me for a couple of months.

Although now they just watch me from a distance daily in parked cars while I shop, up town. .

How do you know this? I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm asking what evidence you have that these people are in the library and in the parked cars specifically for the purpose of watching you, as opposed to just going regularly to the library and randomly sitting in cars for other purposes. You will need some kind of evidence in order to take any kind of legal action.

A legal advice website said my case was about a civil rights matter. Said something like " privacy invasion without due process". They asked how i wanted to persue the matter. Would a inunction work in this situation?

Was questioned by police detectives that visited my home that asked to look at my phone.

Although now they just watch me from a distance daily in parked cars while I shop, up town. They are not as aggressive now. I feel like suing them for mental distress, abuse of power. They have gone too far to intimidate and bully me.
Why did the police want to look at your phone? Did you allow it?

Yeah, they need a search warrant for them to do that, no way you should say just sure come on in. If you don't have a lawyer get one, preferably a criminal defense attorney. Tell him every-time the come to harass you then get your attorney to document it. Eventually they will leave you alone or try to charge you with something. Without evidence they generally will just move on. Don't be a sucker for some cops trying to move up the ladder at your expense.

Yeah, they need a search warrant for them to do that...
First, the OP didn't say that they actually looked at the phone. Of course, it is strongly implied. Having said that, no search warrant is needed if the OP voluntarily hands over the phone for examination.

First, the OP didn't say that they actually looked at the phone. Of course, it is strongly implied. Having said that, no search warrant is needed if the OP voluntarily hands over the phone for examination.

You are correct but anyone who willing hands over their phone to the police in an ongoing investigation would have to be the dumbest person on the planet.

You are correct but anyone who willing hands over their phone to the police in an ongoing investigation would have to be the dumbest person on the planet.

Possibly, but said individual might simply be a law abiding citizen, 100% innocent of committing any crime(s).

There's NOTHING on any of my mobile devices that I wouldn't eagerly allow my blessed wife, mother, or grandmother to view.

Possibly, but said individual might simply be a law abiding citizen, 100% innocent of committing any crime(s).

There's NOTHING on any of my mobile devices that I wouldn't eagerly allow my blessed wife, mother, or grandmother to view.

True, me neither. However, the OP feels they are being watched, tailed, and under surveillance. Given those statements anyone should be apprehensive about giving their phone over willing regardless if they have nothing to hide or not.

But they can't throw you in jail.

Neither can the police, because my devices are as pure as my thoughts, heart, and deeds.

However, others may NOT be as pure as a frosty January morning in North Dakota.

Others may be closer to a smoggy morning in Delhi, Beijing, or some other smutty, soot laden, people filled Covid breeding ground. I suggest those folks close their pie hole and their devices, and say only the following, "I will remain silent and I demand a lawyer."

An injunction against whom/what?

Questioned about what? Why did they ask to look at your phone? Did you acquiesce to the request? Did they have a warrant?

A detective had someone stalk me at the library with a laptop

How does one stalk a person with a laptop? How do you know this person was "stalking" you and that this person did this at the behest of a detective?

watching me for a couple of months.

How many times did you visit the library over these couple months? What were you doing at the library?

Although now they just watch me from a distance daily in parked cars while I shop

"They"? How can these people watch you if you're shopping (presumably inside one or more stores)?

I feel like suing them for mental distress, abuse of power.

There's no such cause of action as "abuse of power," and "mental distress" is an element of damages, not a cause of action.

They have gone too far to intimidate and bully me.

How? By being "not as aggressive"? That's not exactly an effective intimidation tactic.

It's not really clear what's going on, but you haven't described anything illegal, and your post smacks heavily of paranoia.

Back