Visitation

Ann P

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
No final custody order was signed in 2 1\2 years. I am grandparent and 2 children stayed with their father at our home often, although supervised visitation was requested and temporarily in place. The ex was in contempt with her own requests, but we got kids as much as we wanted with no problem.
My son entered rehab and right before he gets out he gets a Reasons for Judgement finalizing child support, alimony and giving her sole custody until he addresses substance abuse problem. He was not served any papers about this. He was addresing problem when she got this done. (She got married and another baby and doesn't want kids with us now that she has new family).
There is no Judgement in clerks file as the letter states the judge will sign the judgement and give to both parties. This is retired judge that had this one case not finished. My son hasn't seen his kids in a couple of months, working on getting retainer fee for lawyers.
If only a reason for judgement signed (my son having no knowledge) by judge and no Judgement, is this a standing order until we get court date?

Repeat after me:

There is no we.

You have no rights to the children.

There IS a judgment, as given in court. Your son would be wise to abide by that judgment, even though the paperwork hasn't worked it's way through the system just yet.

No final custody order was signed in 2 1\2 years. I am grandparent and 2 children stayed with their father at our home often, although supervised visitation was requested and temporarily in place. The ex was in contempt with her own requests, but we got kids as much as we wanted with no problem.
My son entered rehab and right before he gets out he gets a Reasons for Judgement finalizing child support, alimony and giving her sole custody until he addresses substance abuse problem. He was not served any papers about this. He was addresing problem when she got this done. (She got married and another baby and doesn't want kids with us now that she has new family).
There is no Judgement in clerks file as the letter states the judge will sign the judgement and give to both parties. This is retired judge that had this one case not finished. My son hasn't seen his kids in a couple of months, working on getting retainer fee for lawyers.
If only a reason for judgement signed (my son having no knowledge) by judge and no Judgement, is this a standing order until we get court date?

Sounds like your son has some issues to deal with - when he finishes rehab. He's legally the only one who has any say in this. You have never had custody nor have it now.

If you want to help your son you can get him a lawyer. That's all you can do.

is this a standing order until we get court date?

Your post is very difficult to follow, but I'm not sure what "this" refers to in this only question in your post. Is WHAT a standing order? Are you referring to the letter that you (or your son?) received? Not being in Louisiana, I have no idea what "a Reasons for Judgement" might be.

I'm also not sure to whom "we" refers in this question, but the only party with standing is your son, so he obviously needs to be speaking with a local family law attorney.

Back