Visit from UPS Secuirty and Threats - Please help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNBCOLL

On Friday September 26, 2008 at around 2:30 pm my door bell rings and I open the door as my UPS driver is coming to deliver a package (New York City) and two other men are standing besides him. I greet them and they proceed to mumble through there names and that they are from UPS. They ask me for my name and I tell and then I am bombarded with questions. I work from home and sell collectible dolls ( via eBay) and I have 4 other persons that work with me here and we all have 2 UPS accounts each. But we all deal with separate regions of the United States.

The agent proceeds to tell me that I have many UPS accounts listed at my address and I respond that I am only responsible for my 2 accounts and since I am being 100% cooperative as I have been blindsided by these 2 intimidating men I give short answers. Then he proceeds to ask me how many packages that I send with UPS arrive damaged. I tell him that 3/5 packages arrive damaged when I send them with UPS. ( This is why in August of this year I switch to Fedex and have not had any problems with Fedex.) Well, he states that the reason they are hear is because I seem to have filed a lot of claims with UPS from the months of January - September and that constitutes Shipping Fraud. At this point I was confused and bewildered. His tone became more aggressive and somewhat threatening. He wanted to know who all the accounts belonged to and who cashed the checks and I had to tell him because he would find out for himself.

When he was done with his rant and my lack of reastion further infuriated him I began to speak and stated that I just finished tell him that mostly 3-4 out of 5 packages we send out arrive damaged and that I was responsible for cashing my own claims checks and I could not comment on other accounts. To which he became extremely condescending and the other agent which was with him kept rolling his eyes. He told me that all the accounts listed to my address had received $ 17560.00 (with shipping charges) in claims and that I was committing shipping fraud. I advised him that that was a total of all the accounts not my accounts. My accounts had only received $ 2563.00 in claims reimbursement which includes a refund of shipping charges. I also stated that it was UPS fault that we had to file claims in the first place. If the packages were never damaged this would not be a issue. He stated that UPS did not inspect the packages before paying the claim. I told him that it was UPS's prerogative to inspect the packages from the receiver prior to the claims being paid.

He pursed his lips and asked for my contact phone number and walked away mumbling something to his partner and told me that he would be in touch.

At first I was frustrated because I had been questioned for about 13 minutes and then I am being accused of Shipping Fraud ( which I have no idea what that is) . I am not sure what is going on or if I should be concerned. Then I came across your website and I am hoping you could shed some light on the situation for me. I am not sure how to proceed or if I should contact a lawyer. I was not aware that UPS made house calls.

Thank you for any help you could provide and it will be greatly appreciated. I feel as I am being bullied by UPS because they have to pay damage claims and now want to know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back