Violation of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globetrotter

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I am trying to find a lawyer to represent me in a Rights violation by a police officer with the City of Saint Paul. The background of the story is that the officer wrote me a ticket in November 2017 after I had just moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota from Sydney, Australia. Then in January 2018, the officer wrote me another ticket. I filed a complaint with the Police Civilian Internal Affairs Review Commission the same day I received the ticket in January, and also performed discovery and received information. The officer then sent me a corrected ticket by mail after obtaining my information from the complaint that I filed. Because he mistakenly wrote the ticket in my wife's name and identity, including listing that I was blonde, female, blue eyed, rather than the black man that I was.

After 6 months of the Chief refusing to release the result of the investigation into my complaint, I finally received a one page letter stating that all the grounds listed in my complaint were substantiated, and that the officer violated protocols, rules and standards by taking information from my complaint to write me another ticket. They made no offer of restitution for the ticket that I had to pay after fighting it in court. The officer admitted under oath in court that he took information from my complaint to issue the new ticket. I think this is a violation of my 5th amendment rights and could create a chilling effect in the public if one has to fear prosecution after filing complaint against authority.

I would appreciate finding a lawyer to listen to my story and decide on representation. Thank you.

Henry

I fail to see how you getting two tickets is improper. What were the tickets for?

It's hardly a violation of your rights.

I fail to see how you getting two tickets is improper. What were the tickets for?

It's hardly a violation of your rights.

Hello and thank you for your response. What happened was that after asking for my license, he then proceeded to write a ticket meant for me, but in my wife's name and description. At the trial, the officer admitted that he only was able to identify me by violating protocols and procedures and taking my information from the complaint that I filed because I did not agree that I was speeding on an icy road. The ticket would have been tossed had he not been alerted to my complaint. That too was I proper. By upholding my complaint, the City of Saint Paul admitted that the officer violated protocol and procedures. He was not allowed to take information from complaint filed with the Civilian Oversight Board. How could that not be a violation of my rights?

This has nothing to do with the 5th Amendment or a violation of any of your rights so far as I can see.

If the officer engaged in misconduct it is up to the department to determine appropriate discipline for his actions. His misconduct in this way does not automatically absolve you of any responsibility for your citation.

Apparently you did not convince the court that you were not speeding, and you did not convince the court there is a case of mistaken identity.

I'm not sure you have any action to pursue here.

I am trying to find a lawyer to represent me in a Rights violation by a police officer with the City of Saint Paul.

You won't find legal representation on this site by soliciting an attorney using our discussion forum.

Before you disclose any personal information make sure you KNOW with whom you are corresponding as there are millions of scammers and flimflam artists plying their evil trade.

You can review attorneys who DO provide their details using this link:

Free Legal Consultation with a Lawyer

You can also use any search engine to look for attorneys practicing in the county where you reside, or where the alleged incident transpired.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back