violation of contract for student loan judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

noonie1982

My jurisdiction is: NY, NY

Hello,

I took out a private loan for college with a co-signer. we ended up defaulting on the loan and were sued by the bank for the outstanding balance. the court ruled in favor of the bank, and garnishment on my co-signer's wages began. i later contacted the bank's lawyer to arrange a repayment agreement where i would repay the debt and the garnishment would end. the bank agreed and we signed a contract to that affect. i have begun repayment based on our agreement but the garnishment has not stopped. the lawyer for the bank gives me the runaround when i contact him about this. what legal recourse do i have at this point?

Also, one of the terms was that i would be responsible for the garnishment enforcement officer's fee of 5% per payment. I recently read that the fee is normally paid by the judgement creditor. Is it normal/ legal to have the judgement debtor pay this fee?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

I don't know what your agreement is and don't have an opportunity to review the writing. I also don't know what kind of "runaround" you are getting from the bank. Why not send a fax/letter in writing to the bank notifying them of the agreement you had made and send a copy of the contract with your complaint referencing the portion where you claim the garnishment should end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back