Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Videotaped without Consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaLeah

My friend had a little too much to drink a few weeks ago and ended up sleeping with her ex boyfriend and his friend. They videotaped her without her knowledge or consent. They are now sending the video to friends, and threatening to send it to even more people. What are the laws in NY state, and what actions should she take?

My friend had a little too much to drink a few weeks ago and ended up sleeping with her ex boyfriend and his friend. They videotaped her without her knowledge or consent. They are now sending the video to friends, and threatening to send it to even more people. What are the laws in NY state, and what actions should she take?

Can she get a copy of what is being sent out to others? Also how is the video being sent.

Yes...she received a media message via her cell phone w/ the video attached from her ex. and with a message included stating he was sending it to everyone.

Unless she is receiving threats or demands for money... some kind of blackmail, she doesn't have much to work with. Her consent is questionable due to her intoxication. Apparently the sex was consensual, you said nothing suggesting otherwise. At most she can make a claim for civil damages and try to get an order to stop distribution. Depending on who the video is sent to and the intent behind it she could possibly make claims of defamation... but there will be difficulties since she participated consensually.
There is a civil issue here at best... nothing criminal unless she did not consent to the sex itself.... which better be true if she is going to make that complaint.

How old is your friend?

I question whether or not she gave consent. Just because she was drunk does not mean she didn't give consent. Part of the responsibility of being drunk and doing it falls on her.

She isn't claiming that they raped her...it was completely consensual sex. She didn't have any idea that they were filming it. I'm pretty sure she got things cleared up at this point with them. She threatened them with legal problems if the video wasn't deleted, and they felt horrible for making her feel so ashamed of herself. They have both apologized and claimed to delete the video. (She's 23 for the person who asked)

If your friend feels violated, she could approach the police or the DA. If she says she wasn't raped, I don't think much will come if this. There are plenty of sex videoes floating around the 'net, showing celebs in compromising sexual trysts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back