Video Editor - Do I own some copyrights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerashyvideo

I am an independent video editor, and I work as an independent contractor with a large production company. I have NEVER signed any type of "work-for-hire" agreement, not am I an employee (I receive 1099-misc forms).

My question is if I shoot, edit, design graphics and create a DVD for my client, how much of the final product do I maintain copyrights to as the author of the work?

Also, I am required by my client to put text at the end of the video that states "©Copyright "Myclientsname" 2008". Is that essentially me signing over all copyrights to them, or am I still legally the original author of the works?

Thank you for your advice,
CameraShy

It is arguable what you own and just putting a copyright notice at the end of the video doesn't mean that everything is "owned" by the company - there could be content that is licensed and included within the video as well. There is no question that your client owns the video itself, raw and edited format. Whether or not you own any rights to the graphics themselves that may be included in the video is arguable. My understanding is that if you were not an employee and have no written agreement that some of the creations made were a work for hire, then you have a stronger case to have interest in your designs. A question you should ask yourself is whether using them would get back to your company and how they might feel, even if you do have rights in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back