VERY VERY inept parole system

sisymay

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello, I am sorry this is so long but it is really crazy.
I'm writing about my brother who is a sex offender. He was granted parole on April 26, but is still in prison because no one is doing their job correctly and he is sitting there waiting on transitional housing. The address he give to be paroled out to (his uncles house) was approved, but late at night the day before he was to leave, he was told there was a mistake and the address was then not approved because of numerous churches nearby. They said they don't know why it was approved to start with.

His counselor is just not doing her job in helping him to find transitional housing after the address he gives is not approved. I have read through procedures and rules on the GA pardon and parole website, and even though many people in the system have told me they are not suppose to find him anywhere to parole out to if he doesn't have anywhere, it is stating they are.

Anyway, 2 weeks later, someone at the prison other than his counselor said they would help him. I'm not sure what this person did to help.The person told my brother of another place he might could be paroled out to. He applied for this address to be approved for him to parole out to. More weeks go by with no word of anything.

Today I called the parole office where this address is located to see what is going on. I was told that this address was denied over 2 weeks ago because my brother lied and said the person who lives at this address (owner) was his uncle. I asked why would that be considered a legal reason for denial? The lady said she wasn't over that situation, she doesn't know. I told her that there is a misunderstanding because that person is NOT his uncle, but the first address my brother gave that was denied IS his uncle. Maybe this was not changed on paperwork for the 2nd address?

She said the field officer who went to check out the address wrote all the notes that state my brother lied and said the person who owns that place is his uncle. The man told the officer no, he is not his uncle and that he has never heard of him. She said she didn't know what to do and didn't know what to tell me to do. She give me the name and number of the field officer. I called and left a message.

After this, I called the main number for the state parole board. I told them the story, and the lady there said I should call the office where this is taking place. I said I did, they are the one who told me all this and that's why I'm calling you. She said there was no one there to talk to. She also said the records she has doesn't show that my brother listed this person (the 2nd address that was denied) as his uncle.

Then I called my brothers counselor at the prison. I left a msg and she called back shortly with my brother in her office so I could tell him everything. She said that if an address is denied, they do not tell her and that she is suppose to call herself and find out. This shows she didn't. She said she doesn't know what the problem is and that she will re submit the application for approval of the address and talk to someone about the situation. She also said she has no records showing this other person as my brothers uncle.

Not long after this, the field officer called me. She said the address was denied because it's not on the state THOR list ( a list of transitional housing on state parole website). I told her that the parole office didn't give this as a reason, but told me he was denied because he lied about the owner of the address being his uncle. She said 'oh, and that too'. I then told her about there must be a mix up, that the first address denied WAS his uncle and that someone must not have taken that off the records, or something.

I told her I know of this THOR list, and I have seen it. I told her that on the same website that this list is on, which is the ga dept of pardon and parole website, there is also a list of 'non-thor housing'. I asked why is this list on the site if it's not THOR? She said 'the first address your brother give, that was denied, that is on that list'. I said 'That is his uncles house, his house would not be on a list of just any parolee to parole out to'.

I told her that no one has told my brother anything. And that his counselor doesn't even know any of this because she is re submitting the address for approval. The call pretty much ended there, she didn't give any more information, anyone I could talk to, nothing.

My brother called me after that and said the field officer called his counselor and said she has no records of him saying the person at this 2nd address was his uncle. I told him this IS the person who SAID you said that to start with!!

My brother has told me that he knows of 3 inmates who have been paroled out to this address. I have checked and there are currently 11 men on the state sex offender list paroled out to this address.

Why would the counselor re submit the address to be approved if she is suppose to know it's not on the state approved THOR list?
Why would the field officer even go to the address at all if she knows it's not on the THOR list?
Why would there be sex offenders living there if the field officer said this place is not approved because it's not on the THOR list?
Why would the prison give my brother this address to be paroled out to, if it's not on the THOR list? Do they not even know about this?
My brothers uncle has talked to the person 3 times who owns the 2nd place that was denied, and then the field officer says that person has never heard of my brother?
Why is everyones paperwork not showing that my brother listed this person as his uncle?
Even the person who said it to start with, come back and said SHE didn't have any records showing this.

Now, I don't know if everyone in the system is collectively inept, or if they are trying to cover up something, or if they are doing this to my brother for some reason. It's all crazy.

HELP !! would be greatly appreciated!!

HELP !! would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry, to get him the help he requires you'll have to hire a lawyer.

A lawyer can often expedite the process.

When you speak to the lawyer (better yet lawyers) obtain a written retainer which will explain what the lawyer will be doing to assist your brother.

After you have engaged the lawyer, he or she will communicate with your brother.

If your brother wishes you to involved, he can so direct the lawyer to do so in writing.

Frankly, everyone might be better served if you wait.

Placing a convicted sex offender is difficult for many reasons.
Plus, if the process is hurried, I can assure you your brother won't like the living conditions.
Why?
Conditions in many of these "joints" can be filthy, crowded, dilapidated, and in very tough parts of town, or 50 miles away from a village in some rat infested trailer, or shed.

Back