Verbally abusive boyfriend on lease also won't pay his 1/2

another

I have a lease with a boyfriend that has been verbally abusive an it is getting a lot worse. Have 2 kids of mine in home that see it. He will not pay his 1/2 of bills. What can I do? If I pull order of protection will he still be held liable / can I sue him for the lease balance and utilities? Please help I can't live this way for me or my children's sake....Any suggestions where do I start?

I have a lease with a boyfriend that has been verbally abusive an it is getting a lot worse. Have 2 kids of mine in home that see it. He will not pay his 1/2 of bills. What can I do? If I pull order of protection will he still be held liable / can I sue him for the lease balance and utilities? Please help I can't live this way for me or my children's sake....Any suggestions where do I start?

You could evict him, if he weren't on the lease.
He's on the lease, and his rights are equal to yours, even if he refuses to pay.
But, you're paying, and to a deadbeat, that's another FREE ride.

It might be time to discuss the situation with your landlord.
Maybe your landlord will allow you to move to a smaller unit, and the deadbeat's name won't be on your lease.

If you get your neck out of this deadbeat's noose, don't ever sign any leases with boyfriends.
There are many reasons WHY you shouldn't do that, and this is but one.

You might want to reconsider an order of protection, if you have any basis for such an order.
Talk to the local prosecutor who could better guide you.
You must follow the laws in your state to evict him.

You can sue for any rent you can PROVE he owes.
I suggest you sue to get him out, forget the rent.
Deadbeats and bullies are usually BROKE, too.

Read this, even though its for Maricopa, you can search for YOUR county's site:
http://justicecourts.maricopa.gov/CaseTypes/eviction.aspx

Last edited:
Back