Consumer Law, Warranties Verbal contract on telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

atria

State of jurisdiction-- New Mexico

How binding is a verbal contract? I recently received a call from a telemarketer about magazine subscriptions for 60 months with a payment of $69.16 each month for the first 15 months. I agreed at the time and gave them a credit card number. Later that day my credit card was stolen so I blocked it through the bank. Then, thinking that I needed to inform these people I tried to call them back both at the number they called me from and the toll free number they gave me. Neither number appears to be working. At which point I checked on the net and some other people seem to be complaining about these numbers as well. I am now worried that I have entered in some sort of verbal contract with a fraudulent company. I don't particularly want those magazines and I would love to cancel, but I can't get through by phone. I have not signed anything, but I did verbally agree to the payments for those magazines. No payments have been made. Am I bound by the contract? I don't remember if they recorded the conversation. If they send me a bill can I send it back saying I wish to cancel? I am very upset about the fact that I cannot contact them at the numbers they gave me, and I really want to get out of this. There is no written agreement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back