Verbal agreement upon separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel82672

In 2000, after being married only 18 months, my husband and I decided to separate and divorce. Prior to the marriage, his parents agreed to make the purchase of a manufactured home and lot on our behalf. I used MY entire savings to pay for the down payment and closing costs, etc. We separated and I vacated the home under the verbal agreement that I would be reimbursed the initital down payment money. My ex also agreed to reimburse my (not his) son's bank account for 50% of the money that we had borrowed toward financing the wedding. About a month after we separated, he gave me 500.00; I have received no money since.

A month ago, he called to demand 50% payment on a dental bill on behalf of OUR son (joint custody). I told him that I was very willing to take responsibility for this debt and to just take it off what he owed me. Yesterday, I received written a request (by his new wife) for the money owed on the dental bill. I have no objections to paying for 50% of our son's bills, but how can I go about enforcing our previous verbal agreement? I do have some of the receipts from the purchase of the house. I also have bank statements showing money withdrawn from my (not his) son's account. Do I have a leg to stand on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back