Breaking a Lease Verbal agreement to move due to harassment from neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karenlollar1

Hi, I lived at an apt complex in AL for 4 years, without any incidents of late payments or problems, until another tenant named (deleted) and her boyfriend moved into the complex. They started to scratch my car and physically and verbally harass me and my daughter after the guy was turned down by my 19 year old daughter. The female (deleted) decided to make a problem with me and my daughter instead of her boyfriend (just for a quick back story). They slashed my tires, 2 in September, and 4 in December, they scratched my car, including after I had it painted due to the scratching, so of course I didn't paint it again, they cursed out my daughter which was verified by the apartment complex manager who spoke to (deleted) and told her it couldn't happen again. After being cursed at, but not directly by the tenants and having my car scratched and tires slashed again, I gave a 65 day notice to move. (I couldn't get a place before that). The apt was left clean, I took pictures for proof, the bills and rent were paid, and I sent a certified letter to the management which was signed for, as well as telling one of the 3 managers of the move. I did not plan on moving, but due to the stress and money it was costing me, I had no choice. I did file 5 police reports and all of the reports (copies) were given to the apt management. I couldn't do a civil suit, because in this County, I would have to pay for my own attorney, which I was not going to do, it was better to just move. I asked the management for a walk through and they refused stating it didn't matter since I left with 4 months on the lease, I automatically forfeited the deposit. That was fine, my other reason was so they didn't charge me for any damage, but they didn't do it. They did change the lock on the apartment 3 weeks after I moved; however, just last week I found out 4 months after I've moved out; they are filing a suit against me for the 4 months rent for breaking the lease. They knew of the harassment, acknowledged it happened, received the police reports, and one of the 3 managers said she understood why I was leaving. They never evicted (deleted) and her boyfriend who they said was not on the lease and is the only one I visibly saw next to my car at the time of the slashing and the rest was assumption based on comments they made. (The police said I needed to SEE him do it). Even if they now say I shouldn't have broken my lease, the fact that they changed the locks 3 weeks after I moved when my rent was paid up to date when I moved, would seem to indicate they accepted my moving since I had good reason. Can I file my own lawsuit since they let me think it was okay to move and they did nothing to protect me and my daughter simply because they needed to fill the units, and the guy was not on the lease which is not a reason not to evict (deleted), but rather another reason to have evicted her to protect excellent tenants. The complex does have a lot of vacant units which is the only thing that I can see as to why they didn't want to evict (deleted), but they lost me instead and are now coming after me. I have all the police reports, pictures, receipts for the tires, the signed certified delivery receipt, a copy of the intent to vacate letter, a list of every single incident that happened, and video showing the lock on my apartment had been changed 3 weeks after I moved. I also have my banking info to show my rental payment deposited, which was on time and the comment line shows final payment due to agreed upon move 3/30/2014. I keep excellent notes and pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry bout your luck. If you assumed the lease was to be terminated agreeably on their part, you should have obtained the agreement in writing. Further, you might expect to be sued for claiming on the internet these people damaged your car.

You owe the complex for the four months, regardless of the reason for you moving out.

Please for your own protection do not post anyones' names or any "personal" type information in your posts. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back