Verbal agreement to live with until on feet

MomHelping

I have a friend who became homeless so I agreed to let her stay with myself and 3 children with the understanding she is to help but we would help each other. I am a single mother with no family or support so this opportunity would possible be good for the both of us. She claims she has no family either, on her own her and keeps going from co-work to co-workers house, ending up homeless. She works 2 jobs and has offered to give her whole check from one job to help us out which equals to 2 whole checks from one of her jobs. The amount comes to about $500. The arrangement was she could help with what she wanted as money but to try and save money to get on her own. She has not saved any money, actually blowing her money, she uses everything in the house, access to my internet as well as netflix and of course food also. I don't mind helping but I am struggling on my own and I have children to take care of as well so it isn't just myself. She has not been in my home for quit a month I believe or maybe just at a month. She is leaving but not for another week, do I have the right to ask her to give me one more check before she leaves? Do I have the right to hold her belongings and not let her back in my house or even do I have the right to just not have her back in my house and leave her belongs somewhere for her to get such as at her work maybe or even the police station or such? Thank you for your help and listening.

You have no rights. She holds all the trump cards, legally. If she won't pay, your only recourse is to sue her in small claims court. If she refuses to leave, you'll have to use the court to evict her.

No, you can't retain her junk to try and bully her into paying you. If you do that, you'll make more trouble for yourself. She can sue you.

I suggest you never do this again. It never works out. People like her are deadbeats. They're bums for a very good reason, as you've learned. They're also liars.

I suggest you be smart, encourage her to leave, cross your fingers, and hope she exits as planned. Whatever you do, don't ever allow her back inside your home AFTER she has left for good.

Back