Verbal agreement- need help ASAP please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcblues

My boyfriend has rented a room from a family member for over 2 years. They had a verbal agreement for a certain amount of money that was demanded to be paid in cash from said family member, which was paid faithfully & on time for the past 2 years. My boyfriend also has never verbally or physically harmed this person nor destroyed any of his property/belongings. The family member announced suddenly, without just cause, that he wanted my boyfriend to move out in 2 weeks with no prior notice. I believe that he is entitled to 30 days notice in written form. Can you help clarify his rights? Once this person started taking money (almost $500 a month) from him, would that make a verbal agreement turn into a month to month situation in court? My boyfriend does have his monthly bank statements for 2 years showing he withdrew same amount of money at same time of month for those years.
Can you please help us with information?

You are correct that in the absence of a written lease, your boyfriend is considered to be a month to month renter. You are also correct that there are certain steps either side (the landlord or the tenant) must follow to terminate such a lease. This includes WRITTEN notice regarding termination.

I've attached an easy to read but very thorough article describing tenant rights in New Jersey (which, by the way, tends to be VERY tenant friendly):

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/irentmyhome/tenantsrights/index.cfm

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back