vehicle to the auto repair shop for transmission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbc5

My jurisdiction is: calif

I brought my vehicle to the auto repair shop for transmission problems. They have stated that there is extensive damage, and was caused by improper installation of the transmission. They are the ones who installed the transmission.

Can I sue for automotive repair due to poor workmanship after 2 years? They are saying they only have a one year labor warranty.

Read the warranty carefully. Does it also limit claims for actual negligent work? Usually a warranty provides coverage, with some exceptions - it doesn't exclude civil liability altogether. (That would require you signing a waiver of some sort.)

I've went through my paper work, and there wasn't any written warranty that was signed. Does the warranty need to be part of the invoice or quote?

It could be either. I'd sue and let them try to persuade the judge that this alleged warranty excludes damage caused by their own negligent installation. I suspect there might be an argument about how much of the damage is owing to the defective installation, and how much is owing to you because you should have noticed it as a reasonably attentive owner. But warrantying the work for one year essentially means "We guarantee that, for at least one year, our work will remain good." It doesn't mean that "If we screwed up when we did the work, you can't sue us after more than one year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back