Vehicle reported stolen whilst held under lien for non payment of repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn79

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
As a mobile mechanic I was asked to do repairs to a customers vehicle, the repairs were complete, an independant report was obtained to verify the repairs were more than satifactory and the customer refused to pay and became aggressive. The vehicle was therefore held under lien until payment is received. The customer reported the vehicle to the police as stolen whilst he was aware that his vehicle was held under the lien until payment was made. The police ended up making me return the vehicle back to the customer without payment. How do I pursue proceedings against the police under section 26 of the criminal courts act. How do I charge them for waisting my time. And whilst a claim is already being processed through the small claims court against the customer, how do I pursue or go about suing the customer for lying to the police.

The lien is automatic, its a non judicial procedure. A customer is automatically aware that upon entering a contract with the other party who he give permission to carry out the said work is therefore liable for the fees required to do the said work. No such application is available or is needed to enforce this type of lien.

I simply made the customer aware of the situation of what I was required to do. I sent him a message to which he acknowledged, saying that his vehicle is held under the mechanics lien until payment for the repairs are made.

What makes you think that the police did anything wrong to you? Have you checked your lien laws? There are some states in the US that prohibit a repair shop from holding the vehicle hostage for payment. Might be the case in the UK. Even if it isn't, the police likely have immunity from the kind of lawsuit you are contemplating.

. . . if a person takes anything to be repaired be it a TV, Washing Machine, other appliance, vehicles, non stationery goods or machinery, then they are automatically liable to pay the repair fees before getting their repaired goods returned or are allowed to collect them, there's no as such terms and conditions obliged within the matter

. . . if a person takes anything to be repaired be it a TV, Washing Machine, other appliance, vehicles, non stationery goods or machinery, then they are automatically liable to pay the repair fees before getting their repaired goods returned or are allowed to collect them, there's no as such terms and conditions obliged within the matter

This website discusses the laws of the USA and her 50 states and various territories.

We aren't elitist in our limited discussions.

We do that because none of our responders have knowledge of the laws outside of the USA.

I occasionally discuss the laws of Australia, as I am admitted to practice law in that nation.

I suggest you seek guidance from one of the highly qualified solicitors in your island empire.

Thread closed as we aren't able to assist you properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back