Vehicle repair under warranty?

68convertclay

About two months ago, I had vehicle problems, thought it was a transmission issue, and took the vehicle to a nationwide transmission shop. They found the catalytic converter (part of the exhaust system, not the transmission) to be clogged, assessed it was the reason for the problems, and performed the repair/replacement. This past Sunday, on a family road trip out of state, we had vehicle problems again. I assumed that this was a fuel delivery or computer issue, as the transmission had been rebuilt a short while back and the catalytic converter changed recently. The only shop I could find open and having a service mechanic on duty, it being Sunday, was with a national parts/service chain. I informed them of the repairs that had been done recently and the history I knew of the vehicle. After five hours of working on the vehicle, they checked the brand new catalytic converter only to find that it was completely clogged with debris and was the source of the problems. This is the same converter that was changed out two months ago. They dug further to diagnose the source of the debris that was clogging the catalytic converters, and I paid to replace that component as well, to ensure I'm not back again two months from now.

my question...does the transmission shop that originally did the repair and installed the first catalytic converter owe me a refund for the service they provided or for the work that had to be done to fix this a second time? Their repair did not last. Though the part itself did not fail and I see nothing wrong with actual work they did, and the repair did fix the immediate issue, they did not find the source of the problem and their repair did not last beyond the 12 month warranty period. They contend I should have brought it to them for warranty repair, but we were out of state, their offices were closed, and at that time I had no inclination that this problem had anything to do with the work they had done. it wasn't until the vehicle was up on the lift and half dismantled that they found the problem, at which point there was no going back.

Since you didn't/couldn't take it back to the place that did the original repair for warranty repair, I doubt you have any recourse at this time. You can hold for other replies.

Back