1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Vape Theif Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft

Discussion in 'Other Criminal Law Issues' started by GabeOg, Feb 13, 2019.

1. GabeOg

GabeOg Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    I bought a vape about a year ago, about 6 months ago, it went missing. Around the same time me and an old friend fell out. Just yesterday, I took a screenshot of a picture that same guy posted yesterday of him holding my vape. I tried to make contact and ask for it back but he claims that it's his. However, when compared to a picture taken when I first bought the vape, it looks clearly identical. What should I do now? Will the police help?

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

The only way you get an answer to that question is you call the police and report that your former friend stole your vape.

Another alternative is to sue your former friend in small claims court, assuming you have some proof of ownership.

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Buy a new vape, if that pleases you, and move on with your life.

Call or visit the nearest police station (or sheriff's station) and see what you can learn.

GabeOg likes this.
  4. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Are vape / electronic cigarettes identical? My understanding is that they are mass produced. Unless you have some reasonably good proof that can potentially substantiate a theft, I'd have a hard time believing the police could or would help. Remember that no one can successfully prosecute a crime without meeting the burden of proof.

5. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

I am Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Unless you actually saw the person take the item or its has some identification to single it out its pointless to pursue this