Consumer Law, Warranties Validity of Contract after company sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antoine42

Hi,
I live in Pennsylvania and I own a publishing company (A Sole Prop).
At the moment, we are under a two-year agreement with a distributor, which sells our books to Amazon, bookstores, etc.

In a few months, however, I will be selling my company to another publishing company which has it own (and much better) distribution arrangements.

My question is - when I sell my company to Company ABC (which is an LLC and I would become 50% owner), does my contract with my current distributor become null?
I certainly hope so, because we will want to take advantage of the HUGE increase in savings that the new company's distributor provides.

When I sell the Sole Prop, we are forming an LLC partnership and we are changing the name of the company and the EIN.

My current contract has a clause about assignment. It reads - and this is paraphrasing - that "Except by the owners or assigns or successors of either party, this contract may not be assigned."

Thank you everyone for your help!

You will need to terminate your current contract in accordance with the provisions in the contract.

Well, the contract's provisions include that it is valid for 2 years.
It really does not have a provision for terminating besides bankruptcy or when the contract expires (in about 20 months from now).

Obviously, we'd like to terminate it when I sell the Sole Prop to the newly formed Partnership.
So, my question is -- when I sell my Sole Prop, it that a sufficient "reason" for allowing us to end our contractual obligation with this distributor?

Thank you.

Q: So, my question is -- when I sell my Sole Prop, it that a sufficient "reason" for allowing us to end our contractual obligation with this distributor?

A: Only if you are allowed to do so under the contract which, if I understand your posts, is not in there. So, now you must negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back