Vacation Rental Construction Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean27

We rented a vacation home south of Los Angeles, California for one week. My family of 5 arrived on a Saturday, and while I did see a timber frame home construction site at the rear next door I foolishly assumed that construction had ceased for the holiday season. On Monday we discovered that there was active construction at this property. The property was roughly 3/4 feet from the rear wall of our property.

Having confronted the builders next door, we were informed that their contract stated that they would have to start at 7:00am every week day, and they would not change anything.
The property next door was not owned by our landlord.

We could not bear the noise and dust, we could not open windows, so we decided to move to alternative accomodation. As this was our holiday and time was of the essence, a decision had to be made fast for the sake of our sanity. While the agent tried of course to play down the impact of the constuction noise (i.e. you don't have to stay in the house during the day !!), no solution to the problem was offered.

Was our landlord/agent oblidged to inform us of this construction work in advance? Where do we stand in terms of compensation?

All advice would be gratefully received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back