VA, speeding/reckless, medical emergency

Rose924

Jurisdiction
Virginia
During afternoon hours, I sought medical attention that long stort short ended up being "anxiety" and i left urgent care with a psychiatric referral, but no medicine to treat the diagnosis. They prescibed me an inhaler and "magic mouth wash" hesitantly, because my real diagnosis was anxiety and the "symptoms" (swollen tongue/throat, trouble breathing) I was complaining if were solely from the anxiety, and not actual medical symptoms of anything else.

As the day went on, the anxiety continued to worsen. By 6pm, I felt I had no choice but to just get away. So, I jumped in the car, and began the 9 hour drive to my mother's house. At this point in time and in the midst of my condition, I felt like NOTHING would get better until I was there with my mom (Although, anxiety medicine probably would have prevented all of this!).

At 4am, I was pulled over literally 10 miles from the NC state line (mom is in NC). I was clocked at 93mph and cited for speeding and reckless driving. Weather conditions were perfect, there were barely any other cars in site, and although I have a few speeding tickets (around 2 years ago is the most recent), I had NEVER been involved in an accident.

I have proof of the medical condition and the treatment I sought, but from what I'm reading "medical emergency" cannot be foreseen or it doesn't apply as a defense since i "made the choice to drive, aware of condition". However, my condition wasnt treated properly, and during the time I didnt "make a choice". My pstchiatric state compulsively required me to get there as soon as possible and did not allow me to make reasonable choices that I probably would have made had the condition not existed or been properly treated!

Whats the possibility of getting the whole thing dismissed? Or at least dropping the reckless driving part? Can I hold the urgent care facility responsible in any way for not treating me properly?!

Last edited:
Whats the possibility of getting the whole thing dismissed?

In the USA almost anything is possible.

Or at least dropping the reckless driving part?

That might be possible if the prosecutor wishes to make you a deal.

Can I hold the urgent care facility responsible in any way for not treating me properly?!

Only a court can hold a person or corporation liable for tortious conduct, if and only if, due process has been served.

In short, only after the matter has been litigated.

Bottom line, I suggest you consult a few attorneys near you about your plight.

An internet discussion forum is limited use insofar as complex legal matters are concerned.

Keep in mind this.... Since you confession of this issue on a public forum. Child Protection Services reads this they could open a claim. Since you knowly drove with your child while having a mental disorder. Possibly putting the life of your child in danger. Food for thought....

Whats the possibility of getting the whole thing dismissed? Or at least dropping the reckless driving part? Can I hold the urgent care facility responsible in any way for not treating me properly?!

That's totally up to the prosecutor. But I think that given you were cited for doing 93 mph it is unlikely the prosecutor will drop the whole thing. Perhaps the prosecutor might agree to a plea agreement where the reckless driving is dropped or reduced to something else, but there is no guarantee on that.

If it goes to court, your anxiety problems will not give you a good defense to the charges. Despite your protests to the contrary, you did make the decision to drive to your Mom's. And more to the point, you made the decision on HOW you drove — with a heavy foot on the gas.

So should I plead not guilty in order to get a plea deal? Or do I need to contact someone before the initial court date?

That's totally up to the prosecutor. But I think that given you were cited for doing 93 mph it is unlikely the prosecutor will drop the whole thing. Perhaps the prosecutor might agree to a plea agreement where the reckless driving is dropped or reduced to something else, but there is no guarantee on that.

If it goes to court, your anxiety problems will not give you a good defense to the charges. Despite your protests to the contrary, you did make the decision to drive to your Mom's. And more to the point, you made the decision on HOW you drove — with a heavy foot on the gas.

So should I plead not guilty in order to get a plea deal? Or do I need to contact someone before the initial court date?

Yes, you can plead NOT guilty, which will require the court to set a trial date, often six to eight weeks later.

You could also speak with the prosecutor BEFORE you enter a plea, and ask if the "reckless" charge could be dropped, in lieu of a speeding charge ONLY.

At this point you can offer your version of medical/mental emergency which impaired your driving abilities.

The scenario you describe is hardly an emergency. You are expected to follow the rules of the road and arrive as quick as possible, not to exempt yourself from the law because you are having a bad day.
I believe you have no chance of having this dismissed and little chance if of having reduced. Your best chance is to try and negotiate a reduction.

And where in that post do you see that the OP drove with a minor child in the car? I see nothing in the post that suggests anyone other than the OP was in that car.

The OP has posted this all over the internet. In other versions, it is clear that she had her daughter with her, although it is not clear if that daughter is, in fact, a minor.

I answered this on the other board. I've been through this in several different counties in Virginia.

First off, your "medical emergency" defense is nonsense. Medical emergencies do not go on seven hour drives across the state to see their mommy. It isn't going to fly.

Reckless driving is a CRIME. You can go to jail. At 93, you're flirting with the speed that many GDC judges WILL send you to jail for a few days (typically 60 days suspended down to 4-8 days) to teach you a lesson.

What you can do is talk to the commonwealth's attorney to see if they'll drop the RD for regular speeding or improper driving. If not, I suggest very strongly that you get an attorney familiar with. the court you're cited to appear in. They will know the judge and the CA and know what will fly with regard to plea bargains or the like.

Unless the CA is willing to waive jail time, the judge will strongly suggest you need an attorney anyhow.

Back