VA 69 in 45, wrong date on paper and possible speed limit actually 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattr

Was pulled over Saturday morning at 12:30 am, the officer wrote 12:30 Friday on the ticket. He also noted it was speeding, not reckless driving, but I'm unsure how the points would work if convicted since I know speeding over 20 mph while not reckless I think is still a 6 point violation so its not much of a "break" as the officer put it. Also, I drive the road daily and always thought it was 55, even mentioned it to the officer, he said it was 45, I've checked the past couple days when driving home and noticed the last posted speed being 55 and that about 200-300 yds from where I was pulled over past the next intersection the posted speed says 45.

I'm going to contest the ticket with a not guilty plea, but i'm wondering what the best method of contesting would be. Should I get a signed confession from my wife and father who was visiting that weekend to say I was with them Friday night at that time and therefore the charge is inaccurate, and/or should I take pictures of the posted speed and note that the speed limit was 55, which of course says that I'm still speeding, or would a combination of both of these probably help me enough to address the "reasonable doubt" nature.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Matt

Can anyone provide any assistance...also I found out it was 45...of course they have the speed limit decrease from 55 to 45 while you are going down a hill...makes sense (sarcasm)

You are correct that it is six points and you are very lucky that the officer did not charge you with reckless. Take the online five safety points ASAP so it will be posted to your currently clean record. Then take a certified copy of your MVR to court with you. Is the sign hidden etc.? If so take pictures. Hopefully you can negotiate a reasonable reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back