Starting a Business USPS Form 1583 - Box 10 "Business Address"

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Florida LLC

Jurisdiction
Florida
My question involves business law in the state of: Florida

My wife, friend, and I are forming an LLC (a real estate investment club) in Florida. We recently discovered that the post office requires that we complete form 1583 (Application for Delivery of Mail through Agent) to establish a mail box at a mail center with a street address. As such, fields 10a-10e on that form require a "business address" and corresponding info. That said:

a. We're not required to nor will we have a "business address" for the city or county in which we live (because of the nature of our real estate investments)--essentially, we're not considered a business locally. As such, no permits or business licenses are required locally.
b. We will need a registered agent in FL for service of process as a requirement of the state.
c. We however will need a "business address" for the LLC state and EIN filings which is the purpose of mail box at a mail center with a street address.​

Since we're not required to nor will we have a "business address" per (a.) above, would we be able to use the registered agent address per (b.) above solely to populate the business address field boxes 10a-10e on 1583 which, in turn, will enable us to obtain a mail box at a mail center with a street address for (c.) above...?

We've inquired with our post master but cannot get them to officially opine about using the registered agent's address for box 10. I don't think they understand, are willing to give out advice, or care that there are competing requirements for the city, county, state, feds, and USPS that either overlap or are mutually exclusive. Wanted to see if it is permissible to populate box 10 on 1583 with our registered agent's address. If the registered agent address is sufficient for form 1583, we would then be in compliance with the city, county, state, federal government, and ultimately the USPS.

Thanks very much.

You posted this topic a few days ago at another site and got the following answer:

[According to the Florida statutes 608.407, an LLC must have a street address as its principal office. The registered agent must have a street address. There is no definition of what is a street address, but it is not a PO Box. The penalty for failure of the LLC to comply is set forth in 608.415(4) which provides "A limited liability company may not prosecute, maintain, or defend any action in any court until the limited liability company complies with the provisions of this section and pays to the Department of State a penalty of $5 for each day it has failed to comply or $500, whichever amount is less, and pays any other amount required under this chapter. "]

You posted the same topic there again today.

The physical address of your "business" is required by every agency so that you can be found when you do wrong.

Nobody is going to tell you that it's OK to hide behind a mailbox address (it isn't OK) so if you want to use your registered agent's address (if he/she even allows it - did you ask?) to hide behind, that's up to you.

You posted this topic a few days ago at another site and got the following answer:

[According to the Florida statutes 608.407, an LLC must have a street address as its principal office. The registered agent must have a street address. There is no definition of what is a street address, but it is not a PO Box. The penalty for failure of the LLC to comply is set forth in 608.415(4) which provides "A limited liability company may not prosecute, maintain, or defend any action in any court until the limited liability company complies with the provisions of this section and pays to the Department of State a penalty of $5 for each day it has failed to comply or $500, whichever amount is less, and pays any other amount required under this chapter. "]

You posted the same topic there again today.

The physical address of your "business" is required by every agency so that you can be found when you do wrong.

Nobody is going to tell you that it's OK to hide behind a mailbox address (it isn't OK) so if you want to use your registered agent's address (if he/she even allows it - did you ask?) to hide behind, that's up to you.

Thank you for your nasty reply filled with supposition and sarcasm. To begin, my question the other day was different than today's question had you taken the time to read them both. Essentially, both the state and federal government have confirmed to us that box at a mail center can be used as business address. We also confirmed locally that we are not considered a business. We've taken great strides to start our endeavor properly and have been seeking input and feedback from others who have been there before to assist with remaining above board in all transactions.

My question today is with regards to a postal form of which it appears you have nothing to offer than your supposed opinion that someone is trying to do something untoward. In the future, I'd like to recommend that you either keep you sarcasm to yourself or, if you're truly trying to help others, that you take the time to read through the questions they have posted before responding.

Just a warning to others: OP has been rude to advisers on other sites if he/she/it isn't treated with kid gloves, like the speshul snowflake he/she/it is.

Just a warning to others: OP has been rude to advisers on other sites if he/she/it isn't treated with kid gloves, like the speshul snowflake he/she/it is.
No one has been rude to anyone...I came here sincerely seeking help and am getting bombarded with opinions here about whether or not threads should be combined, when in fact they are different questions. It's disappointing that folks here, Senior Members, treat new members with disrespect when posing a question.

If you aren't doing anything "untoward" just put your home address on the form as that's where your "business" is located.

If you aren't doing anything "untoward" just put your home address on the form as that's where your "business" is located.

I came here seeking advice from those who are intent upon helping others with legal questions and not to navigate through your rude posts first to ultimately take advice from you.

Advice given, thread can now be closed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back