Licensing Using 'real' cars for a tabletop game

Ryan83

Hi, I'm an indie game designer and I'm developing a tabletop (card and dice) game based on rally driving. I'm about to start modelling the cars in 3D and would ideally like to base them on real rally cars from the last 30 years.

What is the law regarding using the likeness (exact 3d replica) of a car and using real car names for a print-on-demand resale item?

To expand the question further, would I also be permitted to use the actual car sponsor logos (such as Martini Racing, Castrol, Mobil 1 etc) if I included a disclaimer stating that the game was not endorsed by any car manufacturer or their affiliated sponsors.

Thanks in advance.

It's not software, it's a card and dice game.

What if I just used the likeness of a car and called the car something else?

Also, would the law be the same for an artist who paints a picture of a car and sells the prints?

Hi, I'm an indie game designer and I'm developing a tabletop (card and dice) game based on rally driving. I'm about to start modelling the cars in 3D and would ideally like to base them on real rally cars from the last 30 years.

What is the law regarding using the likeness (exact 3d replica) of a car and using real car names for a print-on-demand resale item?

To expand the question further, would I also be permitted to use the actual car sponsor logos (such as Martini Racing, Castrol, Mobil 1 etc) if I included a disclaimer stating that the game was not endorsed by any car manufacturer or their affiliated sponsors.

Thanks in advance.

You're in the UK. This is a US focused law forum only because only a smattering of us are conversant in laws outside the US.

Plus, you'd need to be aware of EU laws in this area, too.

See a solicitor near you for starters. Good luck.

Ok thanks. And if I was an artist painting a real car with real sponsors? Would I need permission to re-sell the prints?

ok thanks. It's just that I was speaking to a prolific F1 artist who said he hadn't had any issues in the last 10 years so I don't think it's as black and white as you state. If it they did take issue with it though, I would get a cease and desist and I would just alter the branding a little.

Back