using non public domain quotes to self publish a book

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannec

Am I in breach of copyright if I self publish a book of quotes from poets, popular songs, some not in the public domain, but none no more than 8 lines long if I then sell publicly the book, but the profit goes via a registered church, then a charity? Will Elton John bother to sue me?

Here is a good source for you -

Can I Use Someone Else's Work? Can Someone Else Use Mine?

How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?
Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See FL 102, Fair Use, and Circular 21, Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians.

Source: U.S. Copyright Office

Link corrected and here are the sources

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the Copyright Act (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of "fair use." Although fair use was not mentioned in the previous copyright law, the doctrine has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years. This doctrine has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.

Reproduction of Copyrighted
Works by Educators and Librarians

Many educators and librarians ask about the fair use and photocopying provisions of the copyright law. The Copyright Office cannot give legal advice or offer opinions on what is permitted or prohibited. However, we have published in this circular basic information on some of the most important legislative provisions and other documents dealing with reproduction by librarians and educators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back