1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Using a corporation's name before it is filed with the state

Discussion in 'Business & Corporate Matters' started by dexor1, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:31 PM.

1. dexor1

dexor1 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Florida
    Hi,
    a friend is going to start a corporation in Florida. He already has an appointment with a lawyer, who will set up the company in the next days. My friend just told me, yesterday he sent out a few hundred advertising letters to potential clients, with the prospective Corporation's name, logo and phone number.
    He does not see any problem with it. He says, there are no deals being made before the corporation is completely filed with the state. I think, it could be a problem, since he uses a (currently) not existing entity to do advertising.
    Could this become a legal issue? What do you think?

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Yes, it could, possibly. Or maybe not.

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Your friend is very wise to engage the services of an attorney.

He's probably a very astute, clever business person.

I bet his business will do very well, and your friend will grow even wealthier than he is today.

5. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Active Member

No, what he's doing is representing to people that the ads are coming from a corporation — one that does not yet exist. Whether that representation might cause him trouble depends on what happens between now and when the corporation is finally organized and ready to start business.

6. flyingron

flyingron Active Member

I agree with TC. You may not use the word "Corporation," "Company," (other than as "and Company"), or "Inc." on a business that is not a corporation. A fictitious name (DBA/TA) filing will not fix this.