Used Truck Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor1967

Hello, my name is Chris. I am in California. I recently purchased a used truck off of a lot. Technically I purchased this truck twice. I first went to the Dodge dealer in question to buy a Dodge 2500 P/U Truck. When I went there they no longer had this truck in stock, but someone had just traded in a Dodge 3500 Dually P/U which better suited the needs I had. They offered this truck to me and I agreed to it. I had not seen the truck but had the Car Facts folder which basically told me the truck was in good condition. We completed all paperwork and was told by the salesman that although your credit isn't perfect, it is high enough to get this truck. I said ok, then asked them how long before this truck would be ready because I was using Rental Trucks to handle deliveries for my company. I was told one week but that turned into one month where they were detailing and getting the truck together. At the end of this time frame they told me the Bank would not finance this truck because of the mileage. The finance person said he had a newer Dodge 4x4 2500 on the lot that I got approved for, and he asked if I would want it. I said sure, looked at the truck and told them that one window was broken and needed to be repaired. They were still holding $2500.00 in post dated chcks from the initial agreement on the dually. The finance person had also told me that if I found a truck in their inventory that I liked and fit into my financing range he would set it aside for me. While I was looking one evening at their inventory, I noticed the original Dodge 3500 that I had tried to purchase at a lower price. I e-mailed and called the dealership and informed them of this. Within one hour after they sorted things out they called me back and said the truck was mine. I clarified with them and asked if the financing had gone through and everything. I told them I don't want to drive down there and find out the truck isn't mine yet. Based on the agreement with financing, I left $5000.00 down in post dated checks in which they were to sporadically deposit. After approximately 3-4 weeks they started calling me, using different stories to have me come to the dealership. I informed them that I wasn't even in the State because as they knew I was using this truck for work purposes and was making car, motorcycle, and tractor deliveries. When I finally got there they told me that the financing had not gone through. I was livid because I had delayed business transactions, made deals based on having this trucks use and capacity. Then after they told me to bring in the truck they started depositing checks into both banks utilizing the checks I told them not to use causing over $300.00 in bounced check fees, and they started to deposit the checks into the other account as well, all after they knew they were going to take back the truck because they had no financing. I want to sue for $26,000 which is the value of the truck after financing, or clear title of the truck. In short I want the truck still. Also I want an anti-repossession/ collection order pending the Judgement. Is this possible and what are my grounds besides they lied to me?

You wont be awarded anything more than actual damages. You are not out 26k.
The bounced checks are your own fault for having written them, regardless of the date you put. I'm not sure how far you would get with that argument, but the damage appears to be $300.
Surely they deposited the checks because you were delaying the return of the truck.
What you need to do is review your conract for terms stating how and when the dealer can cancel the deal. If they first contacted you after 3 weeks, within 30 days, I would bet they were within their limits.
Anyway, understand that until you actually pay for the truck in full and have the title it does not belong to you. Suing for the value of a truck you never owned will not get you anywhere.
You will likely end up having to pay a fair amount for the time you actually had the truck. Any amount you paid in excess of that should be returned. Expect repossession if you do not return it. If it does get repossessed then you can determine whether it was done wrongfully.
Start by rereading and understanding your contract. It does not matter so much what the salesman may have said- what matters is the document you signed.

Last edited:
I want to thank you for your time and response. Yes I am expecting a repo. The checks they deposited were the ones from the first agreement which didn't close. On top of that they were depositing both accounts checks at the same time. My issue is we had a contract and deal. And I told them I did not want to take possession of the truck until the financing was definite. I am wanting to sue for value of the truck because I know the truck will be going to auction and they may be willing to simply write of the value of the truck. The 26,000 was financing amount. Cash sale amount was $11,000. Which we all know their purchase/ trade amount was less than that. Plus they would lose more if I reported electrical, rust and brake issues to the Car Facts. Which that and a Bad Report may be my only recourse.

You don't "report" to carfax. The bottom line is you did a poor job attempting to start a business on a shoestring. Now you must take your licks. Hopefully, if you worked hard and fast, you made enough to pay for the truck and can continue to operate on a shoestring until you go out of business or make some money for yourself. Welcome to the real world, it is full of sharks.

Well actually I have been in business for a few years. And I guess I'm old fashioned because I tell the truth and am straight forward which is why I told them I didn't want possession of the truck till financing was confirmed. But my business was already going, and by the purchase of this pick up it would cut down the costs of rentals and such. Trust me in the trucking business most customers don't want to pay the cost of shipping their materials and when you're a small company they don't expect you to have the same expenses of the large companies. Go figure. Unfortunately I look at it like this. Worst case scenario I lose this truck and pursue another avenue, the lose is the same. Or I win and am able to make a profit.

Read your contract.
If you wanted financing to be complete then you should have done that before you even came to the dealer rather than use their financing. It is normal for the dealer to find no takers and opt to rescind the contract.
Again, you have less than zero chance of winning a lawsuit with the complaint you are making, and even less chance at 26k. You have not lost that much.
Find something in the contract that the dealer has not adhered to and you might have something to work with... however even then you wont be awarded anything more than actual damages, which is likely less than $1000 assuming you are to be compensated for bank fees, which is not likely.
Never write checks in amounts that you do not have money in the bank to cover.

I completely understand everything is a far fetch. If I do nothing else but expose them, receive repayment of bank fees, and possible penalties I would be happy. So do you suggest that I just use small claims court which in CA. is a max of $10,000, or spend money on an Attorney and go for the gusto? Bottom line if I go Small Claims and win at least $5000 in Damages, suffering, and time thats enough for me to get another older truck from a different dealer. I'm thinking that at Small Claims they would be looking more at supporting the consumer and I do have the contract.

I suggest you review your contract to understand why the vehicle is being taken back and to see if you can find a legitimate complaint.
With the info you have given I wouldn't recommend you waste your time in any court. You need to be able to show the dealer has done something wrong.
What you describe sounds perfectly normal for when financing falls through. Your checks were cashed because the dealer knew you would not be likely to pay anything at all once the vehicle was recovered.
I believe that if you have anything at all coming to you it is the amount of overpayment from those checks, if any. I'm not sure you can hold anyone but yourself responsible for the overdraft fees.
You probably have the best chance of quickly being refunded any amount you are due if you make nice with the dealer and immediately return the truck. If they have to repo it you will likely end up paying for that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back