Used car that won't pass inspection

Robert Reed

Jurisdiction
Ohio
A month ago I bought a used BMW and the very next day the check engine light came on .I talked to the dealership and was told it was common for BMWs to have the light on due to needing an oil change .I took the car to have the OH emissions check done and of course it failed for multiple reasons .Any advice on how to proceed?

(Edit note: From your other post.)

About a month ago I purchased a used BMW and the second day I had the car the check engine light came on .I had an Ohio emissions check done and the car failed for multiple reasons The dealership did not provide me with any paperwork stating the car wouldn't pass an e check .I told them the check engine light came on and they told me it was for an oil change and not emissions.

Please keep all your conversation on this topic to this thread and don't start any others. Your other post has been deleted as a duplicate.

The car dealer obviously lied to you (after you bought the car) but that's what car dealers do.

Ohio requires vehicles in listed counties to be emissions tested every two years. Ohio does not appear to require a vehicle to be tested before sold.

I suspect that you were sold the car AS IS and it was up to you to have it checked out before buying. If the dealer said nothing about emissions before selling you the vehicle (and you didn't ask) he is likely off the hook and you'll have to pay for your own repairs to make the car pass.

Sorry.

Last edited:
A need for oil change will not trigger a check engine light on any vehicle. Unfortunately you likely cant prove they told you this.

I don't know about your state, but here in CA a vehicle must pass emissions testing within something like 90 days of sale. Find out if your state has any such requirement. If so, if the certification can not be produced you may have a way out.

That said, if you have already been to register the vehicle in your name, they should have caught if an emissions test was required.

A need for oil change will not trigger a check engine light on any vehicle. Unfortunately you likely cant prove they told you this.

I don't know about your state, but here in CA a vehicle must pass emissions testing within something like 90 days of sale. Find out if your state has any such requirement. If so, if the certification can not be produced you may have a way out.

That said, if you have already been to register the vehicle in your name, they should have caught if an emissions test was required.
I am required to have an emmisions test done within ninety days of sale

Maybe you will find something useful here. I saw a number you could have called to learn emissions status prior to purchase. This will probably went up coming out of your pocket, but did arrived and see what you can find.
If there is a recent valid certificate on file and the current mechanic can show a discrepancy.... Maybe. Don't count on it.

Not all Ohio vehicles require an emissions check and even for those that do, it's not the seller's responsibility (unlike other states like California). Unless some representation was made about the current status of the vehicle, I don't see you having a claim here.

Moose is right, oil won't cause a CE light to come on. It's triggered by various features of the Emission Control system (failing oxygen sensor, or in some cases, simple mileage). Just about any service center can tell you what the issue is (many autoparts stores will run the scan for free).

Back