Used car advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave83

I recently sold a car on eBay and stated any known issues with the car and that the car was not perfect and sold as-is with no warranty. A buyer from out of state won the auction, flew here to pick up the car and spent a couple of days in the local area. The buyer signed a contract saying that he was buying the car as-is with no warranty and took delivery of the car. I did not hear from the buyer for about a week then finally heard from him with claims he took the car to a local mechanic who stated the car had 2 dead cylinders. The buyer then began a 1,000 mile trip home after being told of the so-called condition, he made it about half way then had to trailer it the rest of the way.

Now he has filed a dispute with PayPal looking for a $4000 refund (on a $6400 purchase) to replace the engine claiming the car was not as advertised. He even said in an email that he knows he has no legal stand but was trying to protect himself.

I offered a partial refund to cover half the cost of a similar, used engine before he posted the dispute and has just escalated it for a PayPal investigation. If PayPal finds in his favor, even though I have a signed contract, I have to pay a sizable portion of the original cost of the deal back...in essence he would be getting a $6400 car for $1000 according to PayPal...what advice do you have? Thanks.

This is not legal Advice!

Normally the company you mention can only judge this dispute by the way you worded the advertisement. Other than that they do not really have a leg to stand on, due to the fact you sold as is and with no warrantee then I can't really see the problem.

The best advice I could give here is check the company's policy you ticked "The Agreement" when joining them, it will give you the nuts and bolts of where you stand. Always remember you got in a contract with this company to abide by there rules, so it is the rules you need to be looking at.

Hope this has helped you out a bit and remember this is only my opinion.

Take care

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back