USED CAR 80,000 MILES

jsarniejr

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
A young man who works for me bought a a used 2011 ford focus from a small car mart/dealer . Long story short after 4 months of minimal use 20 miles round trip to work 5 days a week the transmission blows up. The dealer says tough luck the used car warranty in Mass has expired? Does he have any other options? I initially thought Fix the transmission and the small claims court ? but not sure any help would be appreciated .

The dealer is right. If the car had 80,000 miles on it on the date of purchase then the warranty was 30 days or 1250 miles, whichever comes first.

If it had less than the 80,000 miles on date of purchase the warranty was for 60 days or 2500 miles whichever comes first.

In either case, the time period for the warranty has expired, regardless of the amount of miles he has driven.

See the following website for an explanation of the dealer warranty law:

Used Vehicle Warranty Law

A young man who works for me bought a a used 2011 ford focus from a small car mart/dealer . Long story short after 4 months of minimal use 20 miles round trip to work 5 days a week the transmission blows up. The dealer says tough luck the used car warranty in Mass has expired? Does he have any other options? I initially thought Fix the transmission and the small claims court ? but not sure any help would be appreciated .

For a few bucks, complete a couple forms, serve your mark, err defendant, have your day in small claims court.

I'd forget about it, and follow the prudent advice dispensed by our own, beloved, wise as an old owl "adjusterjack".

You buy a used car you take your chances. There is always a chance something could break or fail. This is the nature of things mechanical.

Buying a used car always means buyer beware!

Buying a used car always means buyer beware!

Apparently the Massachusetts legislators didn't think so. Check out the Used Car Warranty law that I posted a link to. It places some serious responsibility on used car dealers for anywhere from one to three months depending on the age and mileage of the vehicle.

Gives a buyer a little breathing space to thoroughly check out the vehicle after buying it.

I saw the link. It's a "limited" warranty. In my opinion it is always "buyer beware" when buying a used car & the car best be checked out before purchase.

Back