Use of “semi-faked” customer reviews allowed?

dexor1

Hi, I'm collecting and buying antiques in the US. I have created a website, where visitors can complete a form and make offers for items they have to sell.

I made a few deals in the last year with all satisfied sellers.
Important here is, that I don't sell anything.

Problem is, that many scammers and amateurs are out there in the market and sellers don't trust buyers they don't know yet. To get around this, I think about placing some customer reviews on my website. I asked my recent sellers if they would contribute a review, but most of them want to stay anonymous and don't have time to write a review.

I´m wondering, if it would be ok to place some real case, but "faked" text reviews on the website, together with a shortened name.
Let's say: Mr. X offered me a good deal for my old cupboard and was very friendly. Alan M., Nevada

Is this allowed? Or am I committing a criminal offence?
What do you think?

Is this allowed? Or am I committing a criminal offence?
What do you think?

While some businesses in fact do this, it is IMO risky to do. First, it might in fact amount to fraud or a violation of federal or state consumer protection laws because you are posting information that is false and may be misleading. Second, if it were to come out that you engage in this practice, your credibility among your customers will tank.

Back