Use of Names.

A

Alan_Anthony

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I am working on a piece of art for a school show and I would like to use the names of gun violence victims. I reached out to the website where I found the list of names and got their permission to use the list BUT i'm wondering if its OK to print the names on the graphic I am creating.

I am working on a piece of art for a school show and I would like to use the names of gun violence victims. I reached out to the website where I found the list of names and got their permission to use the list BUT i'm wondering if its OK to print the names on the graphic I am creating.

Why do you believe real names must be used?

It would be much simpler to use given names only.

You might consider using given name and first initial of the surname.

I am unaware of a problem with using real names as part of an art exhibit that is essentially a school / educational project that is for non-commercial use. This is not a legal opinion for you to rely upon, just my own opinion and experience. I doubt there would be any lawsuit since those also cost money and if there aren't damages there aren't usually lawyers seeking to fund them. @army judge has a good suggestion which may not compromise the power of your message, such as using a name and an initial. These aren't easy questions to answer and frequently it comes down to whether you may buy yourself a costly lawsuit to see whether there was any legal issue to discuss.

Back