Use of money raised at High School Fundraisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RARic01

Hello, I am new to the forum and hoping somebody can help me out! Can money from a High School sports team fund raiser be restricted for use only by certain team members that participated in the fund raiser?
FACTS: Athletes from a high school sports team held a car wash to raise money for equipment purchases. Not every member of the team was able to participate on the day the car wash was scheduled, due to prior obligations. These athletes did inform the team that they were unable to participate that day and did make suggestions for alternative dates. On the day of the car wash, customers were solicited using signs and verbal communications that invoked the name of the team. The team is now going to use the money raised to purchase equipment and provide a discount for the athletes that actually showed up and washed cars. The athletes who did not wash cars will have to pay full price for their equipment. Is this legal?

This is a matter that must be addressed to the school's principal or the school board. The parents of the aggrieved students should discuss the matter with the coach, principal, superintendent, and/or the school board.

I think it is doubtful that the school board would allow this. If the fundraiser was not very successful and they don't have enough money to support the whole team then they should organize more fundraisers until they do have enough. limiting the funds to only those who participated does not sound like it is in the spirit of how schools tend to do things.

We have the same issues with sports here. There are two schools of thought on the issue, one being that those who participate in the volunteer effort share in the benefit. The other school being that the total amount be used to defray costs common to all.

One of my sons was unable to attend a common fundraiser (a car wash) for much the same reason - prior commitment - and as a result was unable to use the funds to defray some of the costs for a football camp. This adhered to guidelines that had been adopted by the booster club a year earlier so there was no grounds to complain even had we opted to do so.

A lot depends on whether the money goes into a kitty controlled by the school, a booster organization, or some other organization. And does this organization have by-laws or rules that govern the disbursement of such funds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back