International Issue US resident living overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rka38

I am married to a US citizen I just received my greencard after waiting 7 years. We have moved from the US due to my husband's job. How do I keep my GC status. Is there any paperwork I needto file? He does not work for the US government and his position is for at least 5 years. Will I be able to get my citizenship living overseas? I lived and worked in the US first on a H1B for 14 years. I have never been out of status we got married before my H1B was expired and immediately applied for my residency. It took 7 years for me to get my greencard. I could have been a citizen already even if I had to wait 3 years to apply for my citizenship.

My understanding is that in order to maintain you green card status your absence abroad must be temporary. Unless there are special circumstances, e.g. employment abroad with a US company, you will likely not be able to just keep your green card status if you live outside the US. The discussion on this issue is a long one but that is the very abridged version. You should definitely speak to an immigration attorney if this is a course of action you plan to take. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back