US Military Member Stationed in Germany Divorcing German National

Kip76

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Looking for where to start with a international divorce between myself, US Military Member stationed in German until 2019, and a German National Female with three kids, 17, 8, and 2 years old. I went to my German Legal Office today and they explained that Germany has its own set of rules and that I can divorce in either country only each has its own rules. I am looking to keep this as easy and cheap for myself and wife, it is contested at this point and we have been apart for 4 months and not a full year. We are civil and can talk to each other, not fighting or talking threw others. We were married in Illinois, Jersey County, and used the local Rot Haus in Germany once we returned. I would like to divorce from Germany and was trying to see if anyone could assist with finding if I can use my German divorce in Illinois or would I have to file and hire another lawyer for the states? Time is not a major issue, but I would like to see this through over the next year. In Germany we have to live apart for a year, but she can adjust the date if we were to agree. Any help is appreciated.

was trying to see if anyone could assist with finding if I can use my German divorce in Illinois or would I have to file and hire another lawyer for the states?

US states typically recognize divorce from foreign countries if the divorce meets the requirements. The following article gives you an idea how that works in IL:

Treatment of Foreign Divorce Decrees in Illinois | Anderson & Boback

Time is not a major issue, but I would like to see this through over the next year.

If you and your wife want to speed things up I suggest you talk to an IL attorney first in case you qualify for an IL divorce based on residency prior to being stationed in Germany. Long shot but if you can get divorce in IL it only requires 90 days residency and I don't think there is a separation requirement.

a German National Female with three kids, 17, 8, and 2 years old.

Are any of these are your kids? How long have you been married?

it is contested at this point

What is contested? Are you saying that your wife doesn't want a divorce?

We were married in Illinois, Jersey County, and used the local Rot Haus in Germany once we returned.

I have no idea what the part I underlined means. "Rot Haus" means "red house," and "Rothaus" is a brewery located in a small village of the same name in the State of Baden-Württemberg. But none of that makes any sense in the context of your statement that you "used the local Rot Haus . . . once [you] returned." Used it for what?

I would like to divorce from Germany and was trying to see if anyone could assist with finding if I can use my German divorce in Illinois or would I have to file and hire another lawyer for the states?

You want to "use [your] German divorce in Illinois" for what purpose? What does "file and hire [a] lawyer" mean?

If you're simply asking whether a divorce in Germany would be considered valid int he U.S., the answer is yes.

Back