Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft URGENT: Question on (possible) shopliting

Status
Not open for further replies.

liushenwuzhu

One of my friend in Pennsylvania was accused of shoplifting recently. It's kind of unclear because when the security guards approached her, she was inside the store and the merchandise was in her hand. It was a small ring (full price $20; 50% off at that time), and my friend accidently put it in her pocket when she was trying on a coat. She realized this when she reached for her cell phone in her pocket. She took it out, but then those people stopped her and said she was shoplifting.
Anyway, they security gurads took her inside. They gave her a bunch of forms to fill out and threatened her that they would call the police if she doesn't cooperate with them. My friend really didn't want to make this issue big, so she filled out and signed everything. Basically these forms asked for some personal information and contain things like "I knowingly and illegally..." My friend really hesitated to sign these forms, but they kept on saying they'll call the police otherwise. They also took her picture.
Then my friend asked one of the guards what are those forms for and what are the subsequent steps. He told her that those forms and the picture are just for the store's record. He said they are gonna mail her a fine (the ring's full price is $20, and the file will probably double that). She will not be allowed to enter that store again, but the guard promised her that there won't be any further steps after the fine, like criminal charge, report to her school, etc. He also promised her that those forms will not go outside that particular store. After all these they let my friend leave.
After my friend came back home, however, she found that the copy of one of the forms she was holding says the retailer can take any necessary steps to solve the problem, including civil lawsuit and criminal charges. And, neither store manager nor loss prevention personnel has the right to decide these. She was really panicking after seeing this.

My questions:
1. Is that guard's promise credible?
2. If yes or indeed it turned out that they didn't file any charge against her, is it true that everything will be over after she pays the fine? What's the statue of limitations that the store can file charges against her in the future (it's in Pennsylvania)?
3. If the store still files charges against her, is my friend toast since she signed those forms and it would seem that she already pleaded guilty from those forms? Do you think there is any chance that she can win the case? Can she accuse the security guard of threantening her and giving her fake promises?

Thanks a million!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back